Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Car Hire in Lombok

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
felmingham
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Can anybody recommend a place to hire a car for 2 days in lombok - flying over and heading to Kuta for a few days and would like a car to be able to drive around. Last time I went to senggigi and finally found somebody and then worked out a price but it was quite a long process _ i was wondering if there might be an easier way from the airport. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: My recommendation for car hire   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 9:27 pm

I have used Hasan Nur during the last few years. He speaks good English and he is dependable. He works for someone (Indonesian of Chinese origin) in Mataram. I have used him for day long trips. You can contact him for his rates and also arrange for pick up at Selaparang airport in Lombok.

Here is the contact information:

Email: hasn_y@yahoo.com

Telephone: 62-370-627114.
62-370-646356

Mobile number: 62-818548227

He usually checks his email regularly.

Josi Hillary
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
felmingham
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: car hire   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 am

thanks Josi - not looking for a driver though - just looking for a place I can rent a car and drive ourselves. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Car rental in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:25 am

I have never rented a car for the reasons explained below. I vaguely remember seeing an ad in the airport and also some hand written signs ( car/motor cycle rent) in Sengiggi area.

I hope some other expatriates will share their views or offer advice here. Even though I do not have personal experiences in renting cars there, what I have heard as problems were unmarked roads, insurance, police or enforcement practices etc. My sense is rules are applied differently to a foreigner especially when it comes to liability.

You should consider the pros and cons before you decide on renting a car.

Josi
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:10 pm

It is true what Josi says about the "rules" being applied differently for foreigners, however that can also be the case where the foreigner is the passenger renting the car & driver. You will still be 'at fault' for any type of accident.

There are a couple of vehcile hire places not far from the airport - go left from the exit and about 500m past some houses on the left - there is a big sign and you can see the vehicles. You may find these vehicles more expensive than what you can negotiate in Senggigi, and it will also depend on the time of year you are going as to what is available. During holidays around Ramadan for example, it is hard to get anything.

You will need to be able to tell them where you are staying and for how long - and will need to supply your passport, driver's license and international driving permit. Vehcile hire companies can get a bit nervous when you are not staying in the local area, and need to try and protect themselves from the vehicle being stolen.
Back to top Go down
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 am

Hello Freogirl

Any idea about price?
Last time I had to rent a car in the village were I bought my land... I had to bring all the family to go to notaris in Mataram, and only me in the village could drive the car until Mataram... even the car owner was afraid to drive a so long road Laughing

The owner asked me 250.000R, maybe I paid little to much, I don't have any idea of price of car rental without driver...
I was worry on the road... maybe a foreigner is not allowed to drive? in cities I was trying to follow big trucks and stay hidden behind them so police can not see me Rolling Eyes
And I must do this again in June as I buy another land... geek I don't want to overpay such things because I am planning to live there and I don't want to be seen as the "rich Lolo" who can buy and pay everything.... king
Back to top Go down
http://www.lombok.fr
outahere
Lombok Looney

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Lolo
Sorry I'm a bit out of touch with current prices. End of the day, you have to pay what you have to pay. If that is the only car in the village then you have to pay what they want.
Also, I am more familiar with local prices as it is my husband doing the hiring, and he is a registered driver (for taking tourists on tours).

When you consider the vehicle you are hiring probably cost well in excess of 100 milliion, Rp250,000 for the day seems fair enough to me. If it is a bit high, it is not over the top anyway. So 'good for you, good for them'.

In regard to license, you should get an International Driving Permit, which is a translation of your car license at home. There will be a motoring authority in your home country that can issue you with the permit. You are then driving legally in Indonesia and don't have to 'hide'. For any official car hire, through a car hire business, you will need the license. Also if you are driving without this permit and you have an accident, your travel insurance will probably not cover you for any medical expenses.
Back to top Go down
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Freogirl wrote:
So 'good for you, good for them'.

This whas my idea when I paied this price... I try to pay fair prices, but I try not too much, as I don't want them to see me as the "people who can pay everything". They are not usual with tourists and many have the crazy idea that my money is endless (many still not believed now when I tell them I can not buy 1 ha of land every month). Some people have given me the name of "plit" in Sasak, that means stingy... I am quite happy to get this nickname... "aow aow aku plit" rabbit In the other hand, I assume the fact that western people must participate to local economy and not be like "parasitic"... But this goes ouf of discussion topic Rolling Eyes

Of course I have my international driver licence ! Just was wondering if driving car is allowed in Indonesia for tourists... I some countries this is forbidden, especially if you don't rent from an official agency.

Have a nice sunday !
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Lolo

I havent rented a car for over a year and that was in Bali where there is more competition and prices tend to be quite a bit lower. Just to give you an idea at that time......

Jimny Rp75,000
Xenia Rp125,000
Avanza Rp175,000
Kijang Rp 200,000

So Rp250,000 in Lombok doesnt sound too bad, unless you had a real banger.

I used to be all for hiring drivers... but now I have a car I am converted. there is nothing like the freedom of driving yourself. I guess years of motorbike driving in Lombok has made me a bit more savvy to the (non) rules of the road and the risks to look out for but it can be done and it can be fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Gemma wrote:
there is nothing like the freedom of driving yourself. I guess years of motorbike driving in Lombok has made me a bit more savvy to the (non) rules of the road and the risks to look out for but it can be done and it can be fun!

Hello Gemma

120% agree Very Happy ! I sooo much like driving in Indonesia, even if slow and dangerous, I am soooo tired of ultra-security-risk-zero of european roads...

Well I think it was an old Kijang that I rent... so I think I paid a good and fair price, but I made bankroute with petrol, "pfuuuu very malac bensin mobil ini" I told to owner Shocked

I was happy to give back his car and use my motorcycle again, I wondered myself how the owner could pay petrol of his car... scratch
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 am

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure the good condition/newish Kijang with A/C we rented from near the airport in 2004 at Idul Fitri was nearly 250,000 for the day. So that was over 4 years ago, BUT at a time when rents are high because cars are at a premium during Idul Fitri. It was a very thirsty car too. Rolling Eyes

To rent a Jimny from Senggigi was around 90 thousand back 2 years ago.

Hire for both cars and motorbikes is more expensive in Lombok. For example, I found it hard to get the rent for a motorbike below 35,000 per day last year in Senggigi, even when renting for a month (I think we ended up at about 32,000). By comparison, in Bali people are still able to get the same sort of bike for 25,000.

Lolo, I totally understand what you mean about money. I often felt like I was viewed as a walking wallet. Locals, even family, just will not comprehend that money is limited. I was lucky that usually my husband would deal with money matters for us, but even he had problems getting local price on some things if they knew he had an Istri putih.

One time we were travelling back from Bali to Lombok on local transport. BNI had "lost" our money transfer (again) and we had just about run out of money for the month and needed to get local prices. I had to hide around the corner while he negotiated the price with the bus driver to get us to Padang Bai. When he saw me he got really cranky with my husband and tried to insist on a higher price, but in the end he let me on for a local price. I had to hold up my wedding ring and assure him in bahasa that we had been married for years and that I really didn't have any more money!

It can wear you down after a while.
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Soliciting comments from Freogirl   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm

Karen,

Please provide some feedback.

During my Lombok visits for day long trips with others like Pearl involved, I hired a car with the driver on a daily basis. I am satisfied with the rates and the arrangement.

For some ad hoc trips, I got help from a local Driver who took me on his motor cycle. These are short runs and worked out well. This worked out on the days when he was free and I took care of him.

I do not want to rent a motor cycle but I want to find out if I can rent a car through him. Do I also have an option of renting it and have him drive it? Will I have to pay a "bule" rate?

Other than places like Aik Bukak, Narmada, Praya and Kuta in Lombok, I haven't ventured to other areas. Looking at the map, I have this idea of making two trips described below. (I do not want to climb Mt. Rinjani Laughing )

One

Praya
Mujur (side trip to traditional Sasak village)
Keruak (canoe making)
Tanjung Luar (fish market)
Labuhan Haji
Selong and return.

Two

Narmada
Aikmal
Labuhanlombok (heading north)
Sumbelia
Obel-Obel
Anyar
Gindang
Tanjung (Sunday market)
Pemenang and return.

If it will be stressful to do this on two days and if reasonably comfortable accommodations are available, then that is what I will do.

If I ask Pk Damsiah, will he offer other suggestions or will he exclaim "Why do you want to go there.......?" affraid

My only response ( Embarassed ) could be if I can learn about "Puskimas" and other rural health facilities available in remote areas.

Give me some feedback.

Josi
Back to top Go down
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am

Josi wrote:

One

Praya
Mujur (side trip to traditional Sasak village)
Keruak (canoe making)
Tanjung Luar (fish market)
Labuhan Haji
Selong and return.

Hello Josi

Please note that there is NO ACCOMODATION in all this area ! Only one homestay that I did not try at the junction of the roads Keruak / Jerowaru (just opposite the guy selling a very good bakso clown )
All in one day may be quite long and you can cut Lubuhan Haji and Selong that are not so interesting I think..
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Josi
Quote :
For some ad hoc trips, I got help from a local Driver who took me on his motor cycle. These are short runs and worked out well. This worked out on the days when he was free and I took care of him.

The motor cycle transport is known as 'Ojak'. It is easy to arrange an Ojak just about anywhere and between Mangsit and Senggigi, apart from taxis, is the cheapest way to go at night. Should be around 2000-3000, or maybe 5000 if they gang up on you Rolling Eyes If you are going from Holiday Inn, or from Beach Club, just ask for an Ojak. Also, look out for the word 'ojak' painted on a tree - usually with some guys and motorbikes hanging around. I'm pretty sure there is one just near Beach Club from memory.

Quote :

I do not want to rent a motor cycle but I want to find out if I can rent a car through him. Do I also have an option of renting it and have him drive it? Will I have to pay a "bule" rate?

Most guys that Ojak would not have a car license, and would not hold a permit to drive tourists with the local corporasi. Business is shared around. But he will no doubt have a 'friend' who can drive you! Of course you will pay Bule price, you are a tourist. cyclops But you do have the special status of being known as a regular, and so you have some bargaining power and shouldn't be ripped off. Feel free to remind them that you are doing work for the poor children and 'orphans' if the price is too high! That usually helps if they are pushing the price a bit too high.

I will consult with Pak Dam on your suggested itinerary and get back to you on that bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Car Hire in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Hire in Lombok   Car Hire in Lombok Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car Hire in Lombok
Page 1 of 1