Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...

Go down 
+3
mimpikami
Gemma
freedenker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
freedenker
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-19

currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Empty
PostSubject: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 6:58 am

Hello Guys,

firstly, I'm very happy to have found this form where obviously some experienced Lombokians are posting Very Happy

I have a job offer in Maratam and currently much reflecting to accept it or not. It would be the first time for me working and being in Indonesia. I would much appreciate to have a clearer view on the following points I mention underneath.

-) Cost of living per month: assuming I do my shopping at local places and from time to time buy some imported products and twice or three times a week a go for dinner? As well interesting would be to know how much 1kg beef is? How much is 1 kg tomatoes? How much is one kg rice and bread? Which goods, products, services are rather expensive?

-) Internet: what kind of internet is available in Maratam? What about fast internet?

-) How traditional are the people? Would I be observed by neighbors, e.g. if I bring female friends as I'm male? Would they interfere/feel offended?

-) Power and water cuts, how often do they occur in Maratam?

-) Where to rent a flat in Maratam, what are nice, more liberal and relaxed quarters?

-) How far is the nearest beach from Maratam, how long do I need to get there by car? Does it make sense to rent something near the beach and commute to Maratam every day?

-) Any other hint helping me to have a basis for my decision Smile

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!
Kind regards,
Anas

Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Anas

I am afraid I dont know much about Mataram itself so cant help you there.

I can give you some general idea of costs though.

Petrol Rp5,000 per liter

Rice Rp5,000 -6,000 per kg

19 liter of Aqua Rp10,000 (you have to provide the empty gallon)

Bread Rp6,000-12,000 (small loaf)
Butter Rp35,000
Yoghurt Rp5,000 - 7,000 each
Carton juice Rp20,000 - Rp25,000
Yakult Rp7,000 per packet

Noodles - Rp50,000 per box (approx)
Sauces (curry etc) - Rp3,000
Coconut milk Rp5,000

Soap Rp1,500 - Rp3,000
Shampoo Rp10,000
Cotton buds Rp4,000
Toilet paper Rp35,000 pack of 9.

I am not sure about the costs per kg for fruit and vege and meat as I tend to look at the final price rather than the per kg price..

I hope this is a start for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
freedenker
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 3:31 am

Thank you very much Gemma, this helps much to have a first idea Smile

I hope anybody else might give me some hints on the rest of my questions....I know, they are many Laughing

Thank you very much guys.

By the way, I'm Austrian of Syrian origins and would support a German development porject in Lombok.

Anas
Back to top Go down
mimpikami
Lombok Lover
mimpikami

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: living in Lombok   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi,

my advice for you would be to look for accomodation in the Sengiggi area. There are no flats to rent in Mataram as apartment houses doesn't exist in Lombok, you may be able to find a house to rent in Mataram but it's not what I personally would do. You asked how it would be considered if you bring girlfriends to your livingquarters. It wouldn't be an adviseable thing to do especially if you decide to live in a neigbourhood with mostly Indonesians. It could get you and girlfriends in trouble.
In Sengiggi it is more or less accepted that foreign men and local women live together. The best place to look for accomodation in Sengiggi is at the BTN, Green Valley area. There are usually many houses for rent. Go to the area and check out the signs outside the houses "DIKONTRAKAN" and a phone number to contact.
It's very easy to commute to work either with bemo (public "bus"), taxi or most commonly by motorcykle. Bring an International driverslicens from your homecountry incase you'r going to rent a motorcykle or car.
There are many good places to eat out at, cheap good local food at the food stalls. Also many restaurants, some nightclubs and live music places.
The beach in Senggigi isn't the best but a short ride outside Sengiggi you'll find much better places for a swim. It's also possible to pay a fee and use swimmingpools at various hotels.
So all in all I think Sengiggi would be the best area for you.
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: A suggestion for temporary stay   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi,

I will pick up the thread from where Gemma and Mimpikami left off.

You might want to spend the first 30 days leasing an apartment at Holiday Resort in Mangsit area which is north of Sengiggi or the BTN area.

I believe the current rate for an apartment with two bedrooms with attached bath, a large living room with a kitchenette and cable TV, fully furnished and airconditioned with two breakfasts included is US$1,200 (to be confirmed by them). There may be WiFi in the apartments but there is an Internet room with at least two PCs and cable connection oulets for your laptop.

Thirty days may be adequate for you to settle down as well as to make a smooth transition to a totally different world e.g. 24 hour day will look like a 12 hour day for work but may be 36 hour day for "chilling out".

I have some photos of the apartment. If you want to see them, email me: josihillary@hotmail.com

For your permanent residence, BTN is the best choice for an expatriate. You will understand this after you have looked at other places that may be cheaper.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 am

-) Cost of living per month: assuming I do my shopping at local places and from time to time buy some imported products and twice or three times a week a go for dinner? As well interesting would be to know how much 1kg beef is? How much is 1 kg tomatoes? How much is one kg rice and bread? Which goods, products, services are rather expensive?
Depends if you drink or not. Beef depends if you mean the packaged imported Australian beef, or the local beef purchased at the markets (no refrigeration, covered in flies). I don't currently live in Lombok but have in the past. I found on my recent trip that food is more expensive than it used to be. If I was moving back to Lombok I would probably want 5-6 million per month, plus money for visas, insurance, trips home/elsewhere, etc.

-) Internet: what kind of internet is available in Maratam? What about fast internet?
There is "fast" internet, Telkom Speedy is a good option if you have a landline. Otherwise there are various 3G options available but they can be expensive.

-) How traditional are the people? Would I be observed by neighbors, e.g. if I bring female friends as I'm male? Would they interfere/feel offended?
They are traditional. I often feel like Lombok is kind of like the 50's in the West. It is actually a criminal offence to co-habitate outside of marriage in Indonesia, and many people would be very uncomfortable with you bringing home local girls. As others have suggested, you should consider living somewhere like Green Valley if you want to be able to live a western lifestyle and bring girls home. Also, be aware that only certain sorts of local girls will go to bars and nightclubs and be available to bring home. Some are straight up prostitutes, and the remainder are those looking for a western husband. Girls who behave this way are shunned by the local community too, so will live/work in the tourist areas. Also, be aware that unmarried women cannot get contraception in Indonesia, so don't assume the girl is 'taking care' of things.

-) Power and water cuts, how often do they occur in Maratam?
Daily

-) Where to rent a flat in Maratam, what are nice, more liberal and relaxed quarters?
Doesn't really exist in Mataram. You need to look at Green Valley near Senggigi.

-) How far is the nearest beach from Maratam, how long do I need to get there by car?
About 15-20 mins to Mentinting depending on traffic.

Does it make sense to rent something near the beach and commute to Maratam every day?
Yes

-) Any other hint helping me to have a basis for my decision
If you can, take a trip to Lombok and check it out before you commit to a long stay there. This might help you get a feel for the place. Also, make sure you have proper health insurance in your package. There is malaria and dengue on Lombok and you need to consider the risks. You need to make sure you have insurance to repatriate you to a hospital in Singapore or elsewhere if you are seriously ill or in a bad accident. Medical facilities on Lombok are OK, but personally I wouldn't want to be operated on there.
Back to top Go down
freedenker
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 am

Thank you very much mimpikami, Josi and Freogirl, these are really helpful information!!!

If I move to Lomobk, my girl friend would come and see how life is there and may follow. In this case we are thinking to start a own tourism business there. I konw it sounds a bit creacy but would like to start collecting some information about. If you know good websites on investing in Indonesia, property, tax etc, please let me know. By the way, do you know any expats doing succesful business in this sector?

Thank you again,
Anas
Back to top Go down
fish
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 5:50 am

Hi,

glad I found you. You answered a lot of questions already Very Happy

Anas: I'm Austrian and currently deciding on a job offer by a German development agency in Lombok, too.
Back to top Go down
tom
Lombok Lover

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Good luck starting a business as a newcomer to Lombok. Difficult at best even for a seasoned westerner. I am married to a local and I leave most business in Lombok to her. that is my "opinion" based on my experience.   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 am

freedenker wrote:
Thank you very much mimpikami, Josi and Freogirl, these are really helpful information!!!

If I move to Lomobk, my girl friend would come and see how life is there and may follow. In this case we are thinking to start a own tourism business there. I konw it sounds a bit creacy but would like to start collecting some information about. If you know good websites on investing in Indonesia, property, tax etc, please let me know. By the way, do you know any expats doing succesful business in this sector?

Thank you again,
Anas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...   currently deciding to move to Lombok or not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

currently deciding to move to Lombok or not...
Page 1 of 1