Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two weeks in Lombok

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sam
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Two weeks in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi All

Like others on this forum, my girlfriend and I are honing in on Lombok for our honeymoon. We hope you don't mind! Whilst Jane will no doubt force me to spend some days "relaxing by the beach", the traveller in me needs to know where to go on Lombok to get my dose of adventure.

We have two weeks starting in mid April and what I was hoping to get from any readers were some suggestions on a suitable itinerary. We have already identified Kuta as a must stay as well as a few days exploring the Gilis.

To give you an idea of our travel appetites, we don't mind hiring our own wheels, generally go for mid-range accommodation, and love eating local food. I plan to do some diving and would love to try and climb Rinjani (although it might be tough in late April?), whereas Jane would like to visit some local Sasak villages and potentially stay amongst the rivers and ricefields.

Here are my questions and I thank you in advance for taking the time to put down your suggestions:

1. What's the best way to get from Mataram to Kuta with luggage?
2. Is the Novotel my best options for a "splurge" in Kuta?
3. Is Senggigi worth visiting? If so, any beach-side accommodation recommendations?
4. Is Tetabatu a nice play to visit or perhaps stay? Could you recommend any other interior retreats where we might base ourselves to explore?
5. Who are the most reliable dive operators around Kuta and what are the dive highlights of the area?
6. Will my bride hate me if I make her climb Mount Rinjani in late April?
7. Has anyone stayed at the hotels Oberoi and Tugu further north? How does the coastline compare up there?
8. If you had 2 weeks for your honeymoon in Lombok, what would you do?

I'm looking forward to your comments and I promise to let you know how it all pans out this April.

Many thanks
Sam

affraid
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Sam
Firstly, congratulations on the upcoming wedding cheers
I will try to answer your questions:

1. What's the best way to get from Mataram to Kuta with luggage? If you are arriving to Mataram airport, engage a taxi to take you. there is a counter just outside the arrival area where you can do that. If you are staying at the Novetel they probably do an airport pickup.

2. Is the Novotel my best options for a "splurge" in Kuta? Definately.

3. Is Senggigi worth visiting? If so, any beach-side accommodation recommendations? Yes. Try to get into Beach Club Senggigi, it is by far the best for honeymooners, right on the beach and a short distance to the main drag of Senggigi. They only have 4 bungalows, so you must book ahead. If you can't get in there, try Qunci Villas in Mangsit, also right on the beach. They also book out (all the good places do), so must book ahead.

4. Is Tetabatu a nice play to visit or perhaps stay? Could you recommend any other interior retreats where we might base ourselves to explore? Yes. I haven't stayed there, but just up the hill a bit at Sembulan. Definately worth it. Also stay/explore Senaru (magnificant waterfall).

5. Who are the most reliable dive operators around Kuta and what are the dive highlights of the area? Can't help with this one. I would recommend looking into diving off the north east coast around Gili Sulat and Gili Lawang. You can do a day trip from Senggigi.

6. Will my bride hate me if I make her climb Mount Rinjani in late April?. No, she loves you and will follow you anywhere Laughing

7. Has anyone stayed at the hotels Oberoi and Tugu further north? How does the coastline compare up there? Visited Oberoi, not stayed. Very much a honeymooner place, very exclusive, infinity pool with private bales. The sea there is very flat. It is closer to Rinjani so the sand is light grey.

8. If you had 2 weeks for your honeymoon in Lombok, what would you do? You are kidding me, right? cyclops cyclops cyclops
Back to top Go down
sam
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks Freogirl, you've given me some great tips there and I will definitely be looking in to staying at Sembulan and Senaru. I especially enjoyed your comments on Rinjani and how to spend the honeymoon - the thought had never crossed my mind.

I keep reading mixed things on Senggigi. Could you or anyone else paint me a quick a picture of what to expect if we were to stay there.

Would you recommend an itinerary that looked something like:

Week 1 (first half)
Mataram - Kuta
Kuta and surrounds

Week 1 (second half)
Sembulan/Senaru

Week 2 (first half)
Gilis

Week 2 (second half)
Senggigi or Rinjani attempt

Thank again
Sam
bounce
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Sam, I quite like Senggigi as a place to go for a meal and some music in the evenings. I stay just outside of Senggigi in the areas I mentioned. It is a good base for exploring the island. It is the main tourist centre of Lombok, but nothing like the touristy parts of Bali - so not crowded, noisy and dirty like Kuta/Legian Bali. There are plenty of hawkers, but you can ignore them if you wish.
Back to top Go down
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 am

hello Sam

I would advise like this

Week 1 (first half)
Mataram - Kuta
Kuta and surrounds

Week 1 (second half)
Sembulan/Senaru Rinjani attempt, or Tetebatu

Week 2 (first half)
Gilis

Week 2 (second half)
Senggigi or Rinjani attempt Sekotong (south west Lombok)

If you spend some days in Gilis, then you don't need to spend time in Sengigi. Sekotong is much more beautiful and quite, better option to finish the trip !
Back to top Go down
http://www.lombok.fr
sam
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks Lolo - I hadn't considered Sekotong and with a bit of research I can see it's a real hidden gem. Would you recommend anywhere in particular to stay or do you think it's best just to work it out when we arrive?

Great photos by the way. It looks like paradise over there.
Back to top Go down
lolo
Lombok Lover
lolo

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Yes, all around Sekotong there are idyllic small islands (Nanggu, Gede, Asahan, photos on my website...) and there are great beaches and snorkeling.
Sengigi has just a black beach, heavy trafic, and nightlife, it is the unique place in Lombok that looks like Bali... North Sengigi is nice, you can stop on some beaches when coming back from Gilis and spend one full day on the road from Gilis to Sekotong.

Concerning accomodation, I am sorry, I have Sasak friends in Sekotong so I don't have any hotel experience in the area. Google may help better than me :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lombok.fr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two weeks in Lombok   Two weeks in Lombok Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two weeks in Lombok
Page 1 of 1