Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Planning to Visit Lombok!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
creativebrain
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Planning to Visit Lombok! Empty
PostSubject: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Bali and Lombok, for Bali I didn't find any problem in getting place and ticket and visiting places.
But it is too strange that I didn't able to find great information about Lombok, I visitted so many site some suggests that Senggigi is the good place to stay some suggest that Kuta is good place to stay. I am planning to travel with my kid aged 2 years so can anyone suggest me what are the tourist attractions are available in Lombok.

What is best way to travel from Bali to Lombok and vice-versa?

One more interesting thing I found on some website that Pearl is also available in Lombok I want to see the Pearl Farms and visit the good places where I can buy natural pearl.

Wish some one help me for the same.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi and welcome to Lombok Lovers!

I think the reason you find it easier to find information on Bali is that Bali has hundreds of thousands of tourists visit every year. Lombok, whilst it has most of the major hotel chains and a very well established tourist industry, has no where near as many visitors. That is good, because Lombok stays relatively quiet, pristine, and relaxed, and the unique local culture is less affected by the impact of tourism. Personally I find Bali a bit stressful and busy around the tourist areas for my liking.

There is no one place that is better on Lombok - like Bali, Lombok has a wide range of things on offer, so it depends on what you like.

Where to stay probably depends on what you are interested in.

Kuta Lombok is famous for pristine white sand beaches and is a surfing mecca. The best beaches and surf breaks are not at Kuta itself, but it is the base from which you go surfing or visit the beaches. The area is currently less developed than the Senggigi area, but that will change over the next few years, so worth a visit before it all changes for sure.

Senggigi is the main tourist area of Lombok, has heaps of hotels ranging from top class to basic budget, and plenty of restaurants, bars with live music etc. It is nothing like Kuta/Legian in Bali - still very laid back and you can actually experience times with virtually no traffic on the road - unlike Kuta Bali which is bumper to bumper almost 24/7. Extending past the Senggigi main strip is Batu Bolong to the south and Mangsit to the north - both also have a range of hotels etc. and are a short distance to central Senggigi. These strips are gradually merging to one and I expect one day will all collectively be known as the Senggigi strip.

Then there is the famous 3 gilis. Gili Trawangan is the 'party' island, but also probably has the pick of the top notch accommodation on the Gilis. Gili Meno and Gili Air are more quiet, and lovely in their own way.

Another famous attraction on Lombok is Mt Rinjani - the volcano, the climbing of which is on every self-respecting 20 something's list of things to do while travelling in SE Asia (and plenty of over 20 something's lists too, but not this 40 something's No )

There is pristine scuba diving in several places, but I'm guessing with a 2 year old you are not looking for diving.

A typical first, short visit to Lombok might go something like this:
Day or two on one of the Gilis. 2-3 days around Senggigi using it as a base to visit the waterfalls and handicraft villages. Day or two around Kuta to visit the lovely beaches there and see the sights on that side of the island. If you have to pick on place, then base that on your interests - they are all good.

Travelling from Bali to Lombok with a 2 yo I would probably go for flying, which is my preference anyway. Definately not the slow public ferry - although that's cheap, it is a long 6-8 hour trip on an old rusty drive on/off ferry that is not too clean. Fast boat is ok if you are going directly to the Gilis, although that is pretty expensive (more than flying), and I would want the weather to be very good if I had a toddler with me as the crossing can be pretty rough.

There are other sites that have information on Lombok - try Lombok Guide at Lombok Guide

Accommodation - depends on your budget. I stay at Santai Beach Inn which is very basic accommodation - no a/c or pool, but right on the beach in traditional style bungalows and about Rp 160,000 per night for a double including breakfast (less for a single and they might not charge for a baby). If I could afford it I would stay at Beach Club Senggigi (http://www.lombokrooms.com/the-beach-club-senggigi.htm) which is a small place with about 3 bungalows right on the beach at Batu Bolong. Has pool, bar, a/cond etc, I think it's Rp 450,000 per night, higher in the peak season. Over on the Kuta side of Lombok I stay at Mimpi Manis. It has both fan and a/c rooms and is very hospitable (see www.mimpimanis.com) An a/c room is Rp120,00 per night for a double, less for a fan or single room.

Hope that helps !

One thing I must warn you about - if you go to Lombok you will probably want to return again and again. It is quite addictive Very Happy afro

Freo
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am

Well I think Freo has just about covered everything for you there!

Great post Freo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
creativebrain
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks Freo,

It's really very very useful and important information which you have given. I really love the way you explain all the things.

I think i should stay at Kuta Beach and I find Novotel could be good for me, as per my requirement. You have mentioned about one hotel Mimpi Manis, I have seen the pics of this hotel I think it would be somewhat difficult with my little kid. What do you say?

Dear Freo, I also want to know I heard I can buy pearl from there could you suggest me where can I see the farm and where I should buy.

Also, I am vegetarian so the vegetarian food is also available in Lombok?

Hope you will not never mind to help me.

Thanks in Advance!!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi

Lombok has two kinds of pearls for sale - freshwater and sea pearls.
Locals will tell you that the freshwater pearls come from Lombok, but they don't. They are imported from China, which is the primary freshwater pearl supplier to the world. There are lots of street hawkers selling Chinese freshwater pearls - some are quite lovely and the price is very good (unless you have access to freshwater pearls elsewhere in Asia)

The sea pearl industry is small and of couse sea pearls are much more expensive. Most of any quality never see the stores in Lombok - they are exported. There are some sea pearls for sale in Lombok in some jewellery stores - the nacre can be thin and the quality lower than that I can get in Australia (grown in Broome).

I have been offered sea pearls that have a huge glass ball inside (to make it heavy) with very thin nacre.

I have seen a couple of lovely baroque sea pearls in Lombok which I wish i'd bought at the time. These just came through a hawker of fresh water pearls who knew i was interested in pearls.

Vegetarian
You should have no problems. Lombok is famous for its Tempe - locals eat tempe as their primary source of protein as it's cheap and easy to store without refridgeration. A popular local vegetable is Kang Kong (water spinach) which is made into Pelecing.
If you are in Kuta Lombok, Ashtari on the hill overlooking Kuta is vegetarian, but it's not open at night.
If you are in Senggigi, Santai Beach Inn is vegeterian (with some fish) - meals have to be pre-ordered and are eaten communal style with the other guests.
Back to top Go down
creativebrain
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks Freo,

Once again thanks a lot for your valuable guidance. Could you please give me idea if I want to buy sea water pearl, from where I can buy, any shop/any place from where I can buy?
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Creative

If you are considering Novotel as your main option then Mimpi Manis maybe isnt for you. They are very different type places. Novotel is the best & most expensive hotel in the area whereas Mimpi Manis is a simple homestay. We do have guests with children but as we are out of resort and most people get around by motorbike there is also that to consider.
ou stay
However if you do choose Mimpi Manis we will be more than happy to have you stay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
creativebrain
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks gemma, I will think over that never matter even if I will stay in Novotel I will surely visit your homestay and will meet you. And importantly for me is that I can get more help from you and atleast I can best food from your homestay so it's sure wherever I will stay I will come for food at your place only.

Thank for all your guidances, I will keep in touch with you once I will reach to lombok.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:22 pm

I can't recommend any particular place for sea pearls in Lombok, I've only bought them in Australia where the quality is far superior to anything I've seen in Lombok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning to Visit Lombok!   Planning to Visit Lombok! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning to Visit Lombok!
Page 1 of 1