Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HNR (here now report) 14

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-03-13

HNR (here now report) 14 Empty
PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:16 pm

HNR..................14
Day thirteen of our holiday but only Day 6 Lombok.

Rate on the street Rp 8550.

Up early and breakfast has been moved from the restaurant (they told us yesterday so we knew in advance) to the pool bar/restaurant due to a huge insurance conference taking over the main restaurant. I actually quite enjoyed the changed. Boys not so sure. Not that it really matters!

Pancakes back on the menu so we’re all happy! Breakfast fairly early again due to heading off for a final day of diving on Gilli T and surrounds! Laundry delivered and dropped off Rp 30,000. Drive up the coast again and met up with our Blue Marlin Crew.

Hubby and I had decided that we were going to spend the morning on Gilli T I was really looking forward to it. Those that know WA and Rotto (short for Rottnest - was originally called Ratsnest due to the local Quokkas- Google for more info) Gilli T reminds me of a Rotto from my child hood when it was pre-commercial tourist type places. Anyway..........I diverse!

We jump off and head left – walking all the way along. Lots of accommodation (from 5 star to home stay)and restaurants and many many Dive organizations. Then we stopped for a drink in a tiny cafe near the sort of square behind the main jetty. Rp 18,000. It was extremely hot walking round in the early morning as Shade that way was limited. When we walked right and all the way along there was quite a bit more shade.

With hind site what we should have done was taken a horse and cart around the island but by the time we thought about this we were nearly outta time. A must do for next time. Maybe!

Not overly sure how I feel about the whole horse and cart thing. Very sad to see them dragging a cart full of tourists (4-7 fat people) along but I guess it’s their livelihood! So a bit of a catch 22. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Large turtle hatchery half way along on the right hand side. Made a donation there to help with their continued conservation work.

Nice to spend a few minutes walking the turtles. Very peaceful to watch.

Round of drinks at the Terminal Restaurant. Rp 51,000 then back to the Blue Marlin Restaurant to wait for arrival of son and other divers. Lunch here again Rp 267,300 We joined then out on the boat for the final dive and I had a very dry trip home as I joined the crew on the roof of the dive vessel for the trip home. Everyone below got well and truly soaked!

Some serious swell on the way back but the Skipper seemed very experienced and looked after us well. Back to the resort to complete the final paperwork and Congratulations Mr 14 now has his Junior Open Water Diving qualification.

A bit of time spend relaxing before dinner Taxi Rp 22,000 to Bar U after changing money at BMC. Dinner Rp 256,000 and then Mr 14 taxi back to room. Drink at Cafe Coco Loco after booking our driver for the day tomorrow through Asmara. Taxi back via supermarket for more supplies.

More later for those that are interested. Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I know what Quokkas are - my cousin did voluntary work in the Quokka sanctuary in Perth a few years ago Very Happy
HNR (here now report) 14 20020509_daily2_b
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 pm

I have a love hate relationship with quokkas after living on Rottnest for a few years. They are cute but really hard to chase out of your yard and even worse if they get inside your house. They poop everywhere, knock over bins, and destroy every plant they get near. But they are what makes Rottnest Rottnest, so gotta luv em too.
Back to top Go down
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

PostSubject: Thanks Ladies   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 11:08 pm

As otherwise Josi is sure to ask!
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Got to visit Australia   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:14 am

Whenever I think of Australia, the only mental picture comes to my mind is the Opera House in Sydney. However, I am getting a sense of other parts of the country through events e.g. the last forest fire and an Aussie who teaches in Lombok.

My dream is for both of us to visit Australia and New Zealand. There is a family from my home town in India (he is 90 and wife in 80's) settled in the suburbs of Sydney. I would like to visit them. Then I believe you have a long train ride running north-south. Then the Perthites like Freogirl and Fun Trecker. So some day I will plan a trip that will be a combination of flights and some driving to see the country.

When I was growing up in India, it was a big deal when someone had a chance to study in Oxford or Cambridge. Now I know quite a few from my home State Tamil Nadu (formerly Madras State), India who are studying in Australia.

The only concern I have is what I read about Qantas that flies to New York (90 minutes by air and six hours by road) with very poor service. I do not know if it is exaggeration or generally true. They are often compared to Aeroflot flight attendants.

Remember some day I am going to meet Freo Girl and Fun Trecker in Australia Smile bounce Basketball

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
cooinda
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 4:56 pm

I am really enjoying the HNR report. my head is swimming with things i must remember for my first visit in November. Hubby says i CAN climb Mt Rinjani and has me walking up hills in Sydney to train for it!! will this be enough? dont think i can do it....
is it better to exchange money in Kuta or Lombok or does it not matter.
Back to top Go down
cooinda
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I am really enjoying the HNR report. my head is swimming with things i must remember for my first visit in November. Hubby says i CAN climb Mt Rinjani and has me walking up hills in Sydney to train for it!! will this be enough? dont think i can do it....
Back to top Go down
cooinda
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Kuta in Bali or Kuta in Lombok?   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:50 am

Hi,

As far as I know, if you are using a shop that changes money, you will usually see the exchange rates posted and they receive the daily rate early in the day. If you want you can look up the rate before changing.

There is really no difference in the rates by locations. That is not true for the rates used in Hotels.

Enjoy your trip with adventures. Always remember it is better to try to climb Mt. Rinjani and fail rather than not trying at all. Basketball

Do not postpone because tomorrow you will be older than today. Today is the best day of your life.

Smile

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

PostSubject: Changing Money   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 10:17 am

I too was worried about this so i bought a stack of Rp in Kuta but there was no issues changing in Lombok but I try and use BMC as they are good.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 am

I wish I had climbed Rinjani when I first went to Lombok and was still fit. I didn't think fit enough so always put it off and now I am twice the size I used to be and hurt when I walk and when I sit. Climbing the stairs is enough for me. Give it a go while you have the chance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
cooinda
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 14 re Mt Rinjani   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm

thanks Gemma, Josie and Funtrecker
you have inspired me to at least give Mt Rinjani a go. Josie you certainly have a way with words. Now if i reach the summit i will have to reward myself with some sea pearls - hope hubby is buying(ha ha).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 14   HNR (here now report) 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HNR (here now report) 14
Page 1 of 1