Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Honeymoon in Lombok

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Trace
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Honeymoon in Lombok Empty
PostSubject: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Hello Lombok Lovers

We are a pair of travellers who wanted something slightly laid back, but not boring, for our two week honeymoon in July. We are not surfers, and I am not a strong swimmer, so am after some clear/calm waters which are easy to swim in. Also very keen on exploring, culture, rainforest and trying new food!

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend some nice accommodation on the island? I don't want to be too tight budge-wise on my honeymoon, and would actually like a little bit of luxury, but at the same time cannot afford the Oberai (I don't think, unless people know of some deals?). The Novotel is being considered, but would prefer somewhere a bit more interesting and/or independent.

Due to work needs, we kind of need internet during our honeymoon (horrific I know, but we run our own business), so if you have any tips on where the internet access might be best, that woudl be much appreciated too.

Thanks so much for reading this and I look forward to your replies.

Trace
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Trace
Congrats on the coming nuptials!

Take a look at Qunci Pool Villas, or Qunci Villas (same operators, the two properties are about 400m apart).
Both have nice pools overlooking the ocean, pool villas obviously have private pools and there is a main pool as well and hotel rooms if you can't stretch to the villa.
Really well run, a little bit of luxury without being in the class of Oberoi, wonderful location on Mangsit beach. I prefer Qunci to the other boutique hotels in the area.
They do have internet which is reasonable fast (well, fast for Lombok and WAY faster than the internet cafes), but not in the rooms. If you email the hotel they can detail what is available.

The location (Mangsit) is 5km north of the main tourist strip of Senggigi. There are several boutique hotels along the beach. From the beach you look across to Bali in the distance and get wonderful sunsets behind Bali's Mt Agung. There are lots of transport options to get into Senggigi if you want to go in at night for entertainment and meals. Qunci often also has entertainment and has a pretty decent restaurant, although not cheap. The Senggigi/Mangsit area is a good base for exploring the island and you will find plenty of people willing to help you with your 'program'!
You can also hire a boat right off the beach to do a trip down the coast and across to the Gilis for the day, which I highly recommend. The trip down the coast is worth the experience in itself as it is a lovely coastline. Just try to avoid it if the weather is really windy as you will get very, very wet.
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Internet use in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 am

Hi Trace,

Have a fabulous honeymoon in Lombok. I am picking up the thread from Freogirl about Internet use.

I hope you are going to take your laptop with you. During my September 2008 visit, I was able to use mine at the Holiday Resort (not far from Quincy Villas) as well as at a cafe in Sengiggi.

Now I understand you can buy "data cards" in Lombok which may also come handy. I believe you will have to buy it for a minimum period of a month. I do not have first hand information on this but I hope a resident expert like Gemma may post something here.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:47 am

My advice!

Leave your laptop at home, it's your honeymoon Razz

Plenty of time to catch up afterwards!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
Trace
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Thank you   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for the advice so far everyone, very helpful indeed. I couldn't find the rates on the site for the Qunci, so have emailed the hotel, hopefully it is in my budget, because it looks really lovely.

There seems to be a lot to do and see in Lombok. At first I was going to do one week in Bali, one week in Lombok, but perhaps I coudl stay the two weeks in Lombok. Does anyone think there is something specific in Bali I should be seeing (I have never been there). I am not interested in clubs, bars or surfing, but am interested in culture, e.g. temples.

(Believe me, I wouldn't be wanting to bring my laptop if it wasn't absolutely essential. We are the managers of our own business, so we really need to keep on top of it.)

Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi Trace, I'm sure Quinci will get back to you. I can't remember the full price range, but I recall that the hotel rooms were around US80 -90 per night last year.
Hopefully Qunci will explain your options for the internet. I know there is a system where you can buy datacards that Josi mentioned for use in hotspots, and they are not that expensive. Being really hilly, wireless internet is still a bit of a problem though.

In regard to Bali, if you are into temples and culture then go up to central Bali and take in the various temples throughout that region - it is lovely part of Bali and well away from the awfulness of Kuta. Plenty of information as to what is available if you google central bali. There are also hindu temples on Lombok - the Balinese ruled west Lombok for quite some time prior to the 2nd world war, and there is still many Balinese living in Lombok. And of course, Lombok has a rich culture of it's own with the local Sasak population.

You could plan to have 2-3 days in Bali at the start or end of your trip..
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: Some additional comments   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 1:07 am

Hi Trace,

Laptop

You can connect your laptop to the cable outlet at your hotel. I hope Quincy's Internet room has that option. I know Holiday Resort next door does. Also you can do the same at the cafes in Sengiggi.

Quincy is on the beach but on the other side is a mountain. Therefore, the data card may or may not work from your room in Quincy. But I am sure it will work few miles south of that area.

Lombok vs Bali

You may have heard Lombok now is how Bali was 20 years ago. Certainly in Bali you can do the shopping, change your airline ticket, splurge on dinner etc., but in Lombok you will feel you are coming closer to people.

For example, you can walk out from Quincy on the right side of the beach and come across a thatched hut with a weather worn sign "Traditional Massage" and may be a catamaran also. You can meet Dayah (as known to Freogirl) or Ada (as known to me) who can give you both a relaxing massage for US$5 per head. Once you get to know them, you can also get a cup of "Lombok coffee" (strong and sweet) and chat with her two teenage sons who will want to practice their English.

You can travel north for a few miles to pick up the ferry and visit one of the Gili islands for a day or more. If you can take some prudent measures, you can rent a motor bike and wander into some villages nearby Quincy.

Wake up calls

In Lombok if you are staying at Quincy, you will wake up to the music from the nearby mosque but often it is muffled by the sound of the sea breeze. In Bali chances are you will wake up to the traffic noise.

Cell phone

I believe your cell phone will work in Indonesia and you can get the SIM card from many shops there.

Enjoy your visit.

Josi
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: Lombok photos   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 am

I am going to try to share some photos.

www.webshots.com" border="0" alt=""/>

Once you are in www.webshots.com, look for my photos in an album called "Lombok by Josi".

You may also be able to see my other albums.

Josi
Back to top Go down
Trace
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: thanks   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am

Thank you Josi, I definitely want to try and connect with some locals wherever possible! Also, I checked out your photos and they look excellent, these are the kind of things I want to see and eat! (as well as lazing around a lot).

Ok, I can't wait until July. I am SO EXCITED!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Trace, I thought about this after I posted yesterday, and you should also check out Beach Club Senggigi - I haven't stayed there but Josi has. Beach Club is just 3 bungalows right on the beach, just south of Senggigi at Batu Bolong. I've had a look inside the bungalows and they look lovely, and the beach there is also very nice and it has a pool and a small bar that is the local expat hangout. The place is owned by an Australian couple. It would be even more private than Qunci.
Here is a link http://www.lombokrooms.com/the-beach-club-senggigi.htm

Please come back to Lombok Lovers after your honeymoon and let us know how it all went. If I can't be in Lombok, I can read about others being there Cool
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 am

Josi wrote:
For example, you can walk out from Quincy on the right side of the beach and come across a thatched hut with a weather worn sign "Traditional Massage" and may be a catamaran also. You can meet Dayah (as known to Freogirl) or Ada (as known to me) who can give you both a relaxing massage for US$5 per head.

Dayah will also come to your hotel room if you prefer - the hotel will charge her about Rp10,000 to do so, so maybe add that into the price of what you would pay if you have a massage at her hut. She is the BEST.

It's funny how the locals make up what they think are western sounding names for themselves. I don't know why they do it, I love the Sasak names - for example, don't you think 'Yot' is more interesting than 'Eddie'? and 'Nusiah' is more interesting than 'Jon'.? They aren't THAT hard to remember.
Back to top Go down
Trace
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Names   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Yes, I agree that local names are more interesting.

when I lived in shanghai you meet a lot of chinese who have christened themselves with an english name.

the best I met was a photographer who called himself 'Click'.

And don't worry everyone, I will post all about my trip...but unfortunately you will have to wait a while....
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: "Bisnis" names   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:40 pm

"I don't know why they do it, I love the Sasak names"

When I became curious about the practice among the girls selling T-shirts near Novotel at Kuta, a friend from Holland who helps these kids to stay in school explained that they use these names while conducting "bisnis" with the tourists. I believe they do not use their "bisnis" names at home.
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: WiFi available at the Beach Club for the honeymoon couple   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 4:32 am

I made a case with the owners of the Beach Club about Trace's visit to Lombok.

I made a plea that Trace wants to have a honeymoon but she is also saddled with a laptop and if there is anything the club can do to help her.

Seriously, I understand the Beach Club now offers gratis Internet connection through WiFi for the guests. So enjoy the honeymoon without having to worry about your business back home.

bounce

Josi
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 am

That's interesting news Josi because it implies that Batu Bolong has now got some decent internet! I wonder who their ISP is, and if it is one of the wireless providers? If so, that means someone has put an aerial up there (as at last October there wasn't one). That all means that the BTN across the road should now have decent internet, which broadens my housing options.
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: Seeking geographic information   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Karen,

Batu Bolong reminds me only of the Hindu temple I pass by when I am traveling from Mangsit area to Senggigi square.

Is Green Valley known as Batu Bolong?
Josi
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:10 am

Josi, I don't think you pass the Batu Bolong temple between Mangsit and Senggigi. It is the one between Senggigi and the Beach Club. Batu Bolong is that entire bay and encompasses Green Valley BTN - so from Cafe Alberto (or I guess the temple) south to the next hill, after which is Batu Layar, after which is Montong and then Ampenan. I believe the areas are named after the Batu (rock) at each point. The Batu Bolong rock is where the Hindu temple is, and the Batu Layar rock at the next point is where the Islamic saint is buried.
Back to top Go down
lovethegillis
Lombok Friend

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Beach Club in Sengeggi   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey Trace,

I just got back from spending a wonderfully romantic couple of days at Bungalow # 1 at the Beach Club. OMG it was hands down the most lovely place I have ever stayed and I think it would be a great spot to at least spend part of your honeymoon. Be sure to reserve room # 1. It is right on the beach, and the decor is so well thought out. We never even made it to the beach, but it looked calm enough, decent for a dip. The pool is right to the side of the bungalow and lovely, big fluffy towels, mini bar in room with decent prices.

GREAT food all over Sengiggi-there is a local spot covered with a big tarp, serves bbq snapper to die for, we ate there both nights-cheap-cheap. You would head out left from the BC for a few minutes on moterbike, kinda at the end of I guess what you'd call Sengiggi proper, more like a large roadside stand but the food was the best I had tasted on this trip.

There are fantastic local bands playing in all the cafes and if you want to ramp it up hit the disco-really sexy wild band was playing there-fun to see! I have put up a ton of photos of the beach club on facebook, pm me if you want to have a look.

This was my first visit to Lombok and I really loved it. Won't be staying in Bali anymore-no way!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 7:42 pm

That is my favorite place to eat in Senggigi too! If you are heading away from BC toward Sheraton it is on the left, just before the Post Office (opposite Asmara restaurant). I lurve the Ayam Bakar, really tiny chicken but fine for one person and about 10,000 from memory - nasi goreng and mie are only Rp9,000, cooked fresh and enak enak! Also love the grilled seafood. Amazing the whole thing is dismantled every night, so you can't see it during the day - but at night it is back again and full of people eating.
Back to top Go down
lovethegillis
Lombok Friend

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 am

Will have to remember to try the Ayam Bakar next time, crazy tiny Lombok chickens... but yummy! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honeymoon in Lombok   Honeymoon in Lombok Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honeymoon in Lombok
Page 1 of 1