Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Internet in Kuta

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
odie76
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi,

I'm considering coming to surf in Kuta for about 3 months from May this year. I need to work via the internet while I'm there. I will need to be online about 3 or 4 hours a day, including having Skype calls of up to 1 hour in length, and uploading and downloading files.

From what I've read about internet access in Kuta, it seems like this might be a really difficult ask.

But maybe there've been some recent developments in the internet situation there?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I think this will be pretty difficult for you. My net connection with XL certainly isnt good enough to Skype it is generally pretty slow even just for regular stuff like the forums, email & FB. I have tried a few of the places with free wifi. Magic seemed to be the fastest at first but then it was down for a while and now doesnt seem to be as fast as before.

The cost in internet cafes varies from Rp350 -500 per minute. Novotel is the fastest I have found but it is Rp1000 per minute there.

Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
odie76
Lombok Virgin

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for you reply. That's a pity, as I'm really keen to come to Kuta, but I will not be able to take a break from work for more than a week or two. I'd need to have my Skype calls in a relatively quiet environment, so it wouldn't work if I did it from an internet cafe or coffee shop, even if the internet speed was fast enough to use Skype. I'd really need to be able to use the internet in my bedroom, or another quiet room in a guesthouse / hotel.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this forum, and who knows, maybe there'll be some changes in the internet situation in Kuta in the next few months.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
odie76
Lombok Virgin

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I received the following response on the Lonely Planet forum: "You can get your own internet connection using a GPRS modem and a phone card from any major cell phone company...they will set it up for you. The speed and reliability are not great, but unless you are routinely sending files in excess of 1 MB, you will manage for about $20 per month."

Gemma, is your connection via a GPRS modem, or something else?
Back to top Go down
tom
Lombok Lover

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 7:01 am

the late michael, who gemma knew used to access the internet with his hp but didn't seem that great to me. that was a few yeare ago. maybe some improvements have been made.
Back to top Go down
Sempiak Adam
Lombok Lover
Sempiak Adam

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 8:33 am

Not certain about Kuta, but I think it's the same as Selong Belanak. Mataram has 3g (WCDMA)and occasionally 3.5g (HDSPA)
GPRS only, which is 2G, so usually a max of 70kpbs or so on a good day/connection, or very early in the morning.
Can go down to 7 or 8kpbs!
No good for skype, even voice only.
Mind you, even in Bali with all their promises of wireless 3 and 3.5g skype can be difficult. It doesn't matter what fantastic 'possible' speeds you see advertised, if the infrastructure is not up to it (eg not enough bandwith available for the demand) then service can be frustrating.

Telkomsel wireless Flash starts at 100,000 per month 500MB download.
Last time I had XL it was 250,000 per month.

But you do have to buy the sim card/modem which was about 650,000+ for both those providers.

So please all readers, ask your friendly telecommunications company when they will be upgrading their systems, whenever you get the chance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sempiakvillas.com
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

I am using GPRS - I got the modem from XL for Rp450,000 and pay Rp100,000 per month for the connection.

It is generally pretty slow except for early mornings - I get a good speed at about 6am but then I am not often up that early!

I take my laptop down to Kuta a few times a week to play catch up. The signal is obviously better there as it is faster than at home but still not good enough to skype. I have tried a few times.

Sorry I dont have better news!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
Sponsored content

Internet in Kuta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet in Kuta   Internet in Kuta Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Internet in Kuta
Page 1 of 1