Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HNR (here now report) 13

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-03-13

HNR (here now report) 13 Empty
PostSubject: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 pm

HNR..................13

Rp 8600 changed money at the BMC. Best rate and excellent service.

Left laundry Rp 30,000 out as we had to be at the dive shop for 0845; laundry collected and delivered just as requested. Asked hotel to re-confirm our flights back to Bali – and yes the saga of ETD changes begins again. But far less stressful this time as we know what to expect!

No pancakes for a second day running; this is not good! We head north and drive round the coast for about 30 minutes and then we grab the Blue Marlin Boat to Gilli T.

I was very happy with the service Blue Marlin offered except two points.

My son was issued with a temporary PADI card; just a print out of his online registration but it was unsigned. Lucky when he went diving back in Bali this wasn’t an issue but it could have been. Should have been signed by his instructor before it was given to us.

My other whinge. I have spent most of my 40 years alongside the ocean and out messing around on boats. I hold my WA Skippers Ticket (Boat Drivers Licence)and was horrified that Blue Marlin (and 99% of all the diving organization we saw) failed to fly the international Divers Below flag when they had Divers submerged. When I asked the boat crew they said we all know Diver below. When I asked the Instructor he was really vague and when I bought it up finally with the guy running the show in Senggigi he shrugged and said welcome to Indonesian. I can only say this; hopefully since they were teaching my son to dive I hope they were no other corners that they cut while we were there.

I was under the impression that the Diver below flag was not negotiable anywhere! Anyway!!!

Tanks are loaded and we are off to the first dive site. Andy’s reef where my son did his first open water dive and loved it. Back to Gilli T and off the boat for lunch in the dive restaurant which I thought would be expensive but it was reasonable considering we were a captive audience. Rp 177,000 (3 soft drinks)

I love the hustle and bustle of Gilli T and looking forward to spending some time here tomorrow. Had a quick look round then back off to the boat for the second dive, off Gilli Meno, Hubby and I floated round on the boat while the others dived. Had taken my book and happily laid in the shade and read and snoozed. A very pleasant way to spend an hour. The colour of the water was spectacular.

A VERY wet boat trip back to Lombok!!! We just got back to the room and the heavens opened!

Taxi down to Senggigi Rp 30,000 and got him to wait while I changed money. Mr 14 was worn out so he ate in the room from room service. We actually drove toward Mataram looking for a restaurant my Hubby had seen called the Beach Shack but we gave up and headed back to where we knew! Ate at the Papaya expensive for what we received. Rp157,550 (1 sm beer and 1 soft drink) Hubby very unimpressed and so was I after I saw a rat happily sitting by the coloured lights cleaning itself. (I am aware that there are rats everywhere – I just don’t want to see them while I eat) Across the road, to Bar u, for Hubby to have a portion of Onion rings; still hungry! We also had a drink large Beer and soft drink for me Rp 61,000.

Walked up to an old favourite The Office Rp 50,000 then taxi home Rp 20,000 via the supermarket for supplies Rp 89,500. An early night for us all.

More later for those that are interested. Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 pm

In 1983 when i started diving i was living in north queensland. Back in those days horsecollar BCs were optional and jacket BCs a thing of the future. Dive flags also often not used. Things came a long way since then, very much influenced by Authorities enforcing safety standards, and also Civil law and the fear of being sued in an accident. Indonesia has no such authorities or case law in the civil courts, so safety is a very long way behind what these days in Australia we thinks is baseline

That being said, perhaps you should report them to PADI. They shouldbe complying with safety standards to keep their certification as a school.

Glad your son is enjoying the awesome world under the waves

ps do you think hubby was looking for Beach Club? Its next to Albertos just over the hill from Senggigi. BTW both beach club & albertos are nice for dinner on the beach (Albertos has tables on the sand)
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Did you ever visit The Beach Club?   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Shonagh,

If you didn't visit The Beach Club, you missed a nice experience.

If you missed it because you couldn't find it, ?????? Surprised The taxis always slow down somewhat around the corner, there is the BTN land mark and I hope there is still the banner about Happy Hour flying across the street.

I am also curious: During your next trip, will you spend more time in Lombok than Bali?

Enjoy rest of your stay.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

PostSubject: Stuff   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:00 am

Hey guys i just love this forum where you can see how many people actually read your reports that you make time to write. Often on BTF I wonder why i bother. Thanks for your comments too!

Re PADI I might email them when I get back but same same in Bali son went diving with a great mob off Panding Bai and again no flags! But yet I was very impressed with the professionalize of the organization here on Bali!

Beach Shack/Beach Club Hubby saw a sign well at least thought he did so maybe two unrelated. Josi we certainly didn't miss out on any experiences. We had a ball!!! But not sure about your questions about returning; when I get to my last Lombok posts will put some future thoughts as all members of our family have different ideas.

More later thanks for taking the time to read and comment. geek
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: Your recommendations for Lombok restaurants   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 am

Shonagh,

I agree with your comments about BTF. I read more BTF than post. For me Lombok Lovers is like a family.

I wonder if you could find time to do this while your memory is fresh. Can you list the Lombok restaurants you enjoyed most? Names and general locations will be enough for me (e.g. Office in Arts Colony).

I will be spending the last third of our 30 days trip in Lombok with three ladies. One I have been sleeping with for the last 47 years. The olther two I know for the last 30 years.

Nikki my wife wants to be cautious about food because of blood sugar. One of the other two likes good cocktails and wine with her meals. The other may be indifferent about food.

During my last few solo visits, I began to enjoy warung food. Even while I am in Bali, I am content with nassi goreng and capcay with a small bintang. So your recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Josi
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 am

Josi
My recommendations from my recent visit (and past visits too)
Le Quake - upmarket, nice cuisine. Had a very nice prawn dish there.
Taman - really enjoyed the Satay Ayam which is served with rice and kangkong goreng (waterspinach)
Beach Club - good hamburger
Cak Por (aka 'The Tent') - Ayam Bakar, Ayam Goreng, Nasi Goreng, Cap Cay. Cheap and tasty

Couple of other places that I can't recall the names of:
Across the road from the Batu Bolong beach where they hold Lebaran Ketupat there is a losmen with a cafe. There is a kitchen at the front on the road, and one beruga there + 3 berugas at the back with a tiny little rice paddy (I mean about 2 metres x 2 metres). They did a very decent Ayam Goreng and other local food at very good prices.

Also, we had a family dinner with 20 people in Mataram at a place called something like 'Berugak'. It is right next to the airport, with the back fence literally on the airport perimeter. They have several berugas, some very large with tables & chairs. It is a little past the exit gate for the airport. The food was really excellent and very well priced. It is a locals restaurant, so the food is very spicy. You need to specifically ask them to tone down the spicy (which they do for local kids anyway). For the whole group including drinks (non-alcoholic) it came to about Rp 500,000. We had all sorts of really nice local food, whole fried fish, chicken done in various styles, omlette, tempe and vegetable dishes. In future, we will eat there rather than at the airport - particularly if flying out on the evening Garuda flight.

Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:50 am

Funtrecker, also forgot to say it is nice that someone takes the time to post about their trip. Plenty of people post to ask information in planning their trip but very few bother to come back and share their experience, so thanks for that Cool
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

PostSubject: Thanks   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:59 am

Karen,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Josi
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Was also told by locals on the beach at Batu Bolong that there is a good warung at the entrance to Batu Bolong BTN that does good satay. They were not open when I was there, but will try next time.
Back to top Go down
FunTrecker
Lombok Soulmate
FunTrecker

PostSubject: Pleasures mine   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Over the years I've asked 1000's of questions and feel it's the least I can do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HNR (here now report) 13   HNR (here now report) 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HNR (here now report) 13
Page 1 of 1