Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi From A Newbie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carolyn
Lombok Virgin
Carolyn

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself as this is my first post Very Happy

I've been to Lombok 4 times, although the last time was 12 years ago! It's now time to introduce the kiddies to the delights of Lombok so the family is heading off in 6 weeks time. The kids are 11 and 13 y.o so any tips for them would be appreciated.

We'll be spending 4 days in Senggigi and 4 days in Kuta. Can anyone suggest a good car hire place in Senggigi?

Also, should we be taking anti-malarials?

Thanks,
Carolyn Smile
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Some thoughts   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Carolyn,

I am not able to tell if you want to hire a car with a Driver or want to rent a car. I have used an English speaking Driver during all my visits and would recommend Hassan Nur.

His email address: hsn_y@yahoo.com. He does not check his emails regularly.

His telephone number is: 62-370-627114 or 62-818548227.

What I like about him is his punctuality, his understanding of western standards and also his capacity to be a guide when necessary. For example, I wanted him to show me a village and he did that without making me an object of curiosity in the village.

If you are thinking of renting a car, I will venture to say "Think twice before doing it".

I also wonder if you have decided where you want to stay. For the teenagers, Holiday Resort in Sengiggi may be a good option.

Holiday Resort has a good spa but if you want personal attention, enter the beach from the swimming pool, turn left to walk about 200 yards when you will find a hut and a woman with her family. She understands English and may even speak a bit and she is extremely good. Her husband ferries passengers to Gili islands.

I have never stayed in Kuta but it is famous for white beaches and for surfers.

Very soon you are going to receive advice from others too who are either residing there or more frequent visitors.

Have a fabulous visit with the teenagers.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
Carolyn
Lombok Virgin
Carolyn

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks Josi.
We'll be staying at Batu Bolong Cottages near Senggigi and then the Novotel in Kuta.
We've driven a fair bit around Lombok in the past so we're ok there - the main reason for the car is to make our own way to and from Kuta.
What about anti-malarials? Do you take them when you go there?
Cheers
Carolyn Smile
Back to top Go down
hfraast
Lombok Friend

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Anti malaria............   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi,

Health authorities recomend anti-malarias. Only Lariam is not resistant.
I've allways taken Lariam, but it made me crazy, so this year I did not take anything.
They say it is quite safe in the Seneggigi area. Much worse in Lombok Timor, especially
the wet season.

Very Happy hfraast
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Do I take malaria pills?   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 am

Carolyn,

No I don't. The reason is simple: During my last six visits, I have never ventured into the areas where I could be exposed to malaria. I have always spent my time in the urban areas. Another reason is that the preventive measures are very cumbersome. For typhoid or cholera or hepatitis, it is shots but for malaria, there is no simple preventive measure.

Enjoy your stay.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Carolyn
Welcome to Lombok Lovers cheers

In regard to malarials. Everywhere in Lombok you are at risk, less so if you are staying in Mataram, which you are not. Malaria is present in both the Senggigi area and Kuta. I have family who have contracted Malaria in the Senggigi area, and a friend who has contracted malaria in Kuta. Many locals from the villages around Senggigi get malaria every year, and in the wet season the hospitals are crowded with malaria victims. I know people personally who have contracted Malaria exactly where Josi stays, so I do not agree that there is no risk around that area.

So, do I take anti-malarials? No, I don't. But I am alergic to most anti-biotics, and can't take Larium, so my options are restricted. Also, when living in Lombok I couldn't as there really are no long term options. You just have to treat as quickly as you can if you get it.

I would always recommend that a short-stay tourist do take anti-malarials, particularly as you will be there at the tail end of the wet season. Your GP can advise you what one to take, personally I would take Doxycycline if I could. Larium can cause all sorts of nasty side effects.

Just as important, try to get your teenagers to understand the need to put on a good DEET insect repellant, and to cover up - particularly early morning and late afternoon/evening. Malaria risk is not massive, so they don't need to stress about it, but precautions are important. Make sure you all have light cotton long sleeve shirts you can wear in the evening if you are sitting outside, and long cotton trousers. You need to still wear insect repellent because the buggers will bite you through your clothes. But not as many times perhaps. Fog your room, or sleep under mosquito nets. They will probably still want to wear singlets, but if mosquitos are active, then they can pop the shirt on.

Lombok and Bali also have Dengue Fever, for which there are no meds. So prevention is really important. The reason I would suggest you put your kids on anti=malarials is it is hard to get them to be vigilant with prevention. And we just don't like to see our kids at risk.

Sorry, I don't mean to scare you, for the most part I just take the precautions and don't stress about it, and in 15 years of visiting Lombok I've never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
Carolyn
Lombok Virgin
Carolyn

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone, especially Freogirl - very good advice. We've got an appt with the travel doc next week so will be getting our malaria tabs, typhoid and H1N1 jabs Shocked

Just getting back to my car rental question ... can anyone recommend anyone in the Senggigi area?

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 am

Can't recommend anywhere in particular. There are several car rental places in the Senggigi area. The best bet is to check them out and have a good look at the vehicle on offer. You will see signs advertising car rental on the street. I can't really help with the going rate as it is quite some time since I rented a car in Lombok plus my husband gets local prices (being a local).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi From A Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From A Newbie   Hi From A Newbie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi From A Newbie
Page 1 of 1