Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

international drivers licence

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chrysanthi
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-17

international drivers licence Empty
PostSubject: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:44 pm

hi i did not get my idl on time before we leave to bali.i was told that i can get the idl for 1 month there(we stay 60 days!!!)is this idl also valid on lombok??or could i get one there as well.i would like to go to kuta around xmas .is there a possibility to get a place easy at this time??like mimpi manis??also from the gilis how to get there the easiest way??thanks for your replies .greetings from greece
Back to top Go down
Sempiak Adam
Lombok Lover
Sempiak Adam

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi there, my understanding of IDL's is that you can only get them in the country that has issued your driver's license. But hey, I may be wrong for Indonesia! The 'fine' if you get caught is usually 50 -100,00K...

You should book over Xmas definitely. Talk to Gemma.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sempiakvillas.com
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 6:52 pm

The one month license you can get from polda in Bali - I believe but may be wrong is only valid in Bali. I have never heard of a tourist getting a one month license in Lombok even to get the one year license that I have is much harder in Lombok. I know an agent who can help people get it but the cost is Rp500,000. As opposed to Rp75,000 in Bali.

If you are driving from Bali to Lombok your license and the car papers are checked at Padangbai and must be in order. If you are flying over and will only be riding a bike around Kuta and the south you are fine without a license. There are no road checks unless you go as far as Praya 25km away.

Christmas tends to be one of our busiest times so best to book ahead if you will be staying over that period. sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
chrysanthi
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 pm

hi genna
thanks thats what i heard as well.we are thinking of coming over for xmas period .we are flying to bali on monday first time....so we will have a look how we like it and than to gili air and than down to see you.we just want to go on bikes to the beaches etc.so should be fine on lombok without idl.which is the best way to come from gili to your place???i will contact you from gili to reserve a place at your house(if there is still some avaible) many greetinfs and thanks
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as an IDL (International Driver License). There is an IDP (International Driving Permit). The IDP is a translation of your driving license from your home country - it is not a license in itself. When you use an IDP you must also carry your actual driving license as well. You are only endorsed to drive whatever you are licensed to drive on your driver's license.

So, if you didn't get an IDP in your home country, you can't get one anywhere else, as no other country is allowed to issue a translation of your driver license.

There "tourist driving license" issued in Bali is for Bali only. I also am not aware of an equivalent arrangement outside of Bali.

You might be ok using your Greek driving license, in that it might be accepted by the police and hire car companies if they check, however do check your travel insurance, as many insurance companies get picky about your license status when you are in control of the vehicle.

For the most part, in Lombok, it is not expensive to hire a driver with vehicle - so that is the best way to go if you want to tour the island.

If you want to hire motorbikes, apart from the insurance issues, it is pretty easy to get away without having an IDP - and just cop a small fine if you are caught.
Back to top Go down
Sempiak Adam
Lombok Lover
Sempiak Adam

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I am with Freogirl! Get a driver. I seem to be doing a lot of travelling for supplies these days and have been surprised by the number of road blocks/checks for SIM/vehicle rego etc, mostly motorbikes, but cars, and especially trucks. Certainly up there with Bali road checks (but always main roads).

It is a much more pleasant experience to enjoy the scenery and goings on with a driver (if a car, instead of motorbike.) To be honest, the number of injured staff we have monthly on bikes.....)
If you are a nervous passenger 'gelisah', then sit in the back seat!

A 1.5 hour taxi ride to us in the south can be had for 250k, (210 if u are a local!). That's good value.
ABemo will cost 45K! And you might get a chicken/invitation to a wedding, or a wife on the way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sempiakvillas.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: international drivers licence   international drivers licence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

international drivers licence
Page 1 of 1