Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tweetwee
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-11

First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Empty
PostSubject: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:14 am

Hello Lombok Lovers!

Its my first trip to Lombok. Very excited & looking forward to it.
Its another Honeymoon for me & my hubby. Razz
I will be staying at Puri Mas for 4D3N and flying off to Lombok in 13days.

I seem to have only 2 full days in Lombok and wonder what should I really do to enjoy it to the fullest.
The more I read about Lombok, the more I feel I am staying too short! Razz But everything is already booked so need to work around it. Smile

1) I am planning to visit Gili islands. Which of the 3 island is a MUST to vist? What is the best way to vist there? I am planning for Snorkelling there too.

2) Any local food that I must try? Or any local restaurant that we can go to?

3) I need a good and affordable SPA. Is there any to recommend?

4) Any local pdts to buy back home for all my friends & ?

5) Can I visit Mt Rinjani ourselves w/o tourguide and in 1 day? I just want to have a feel and experience of the volcano. Razz

6) Is credit card widely accepted? Or we must bring enough Cash!

Cheers! Razz
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Laid back fun or robotic fun in Lombok   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 am

tweetwee wrote:
Hello Lombok Lovers!

Hi Honeymooner,

See my responses below.

Josi

Its my first trip to Lombok. Very excited & looking forward to it.
Its another Honeymoon for me & my hubby. Razz
I will be staying at Puri Mas for 4D3N and flying off to Lombok in 13days.

I seem to have only 2 full days in Lombok and wonder what should I really do to enjoy it to the fullest.
The more I read about Lombok, the more I feel I am staying too short! Razz But everything is already booked so need to work around it. Smile

You can be robotic while in Lombok or be laid back and enjoy the stay in concert with the local pace of life. What you can do in the nearby city state in 24 hours will take you at least 36 hours in Lombok.

1) I am planning to visit Gili islands. Which of the 3 island is a MUST to vist? What is the best way to vist there? I am planning for Snorkelling there too.

Won't you be rushing too much if you want to visit one of these islands and also try to climb Mt. Rinjani Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Exclamation

2) Any local food that I must try? Or any local restaurant that we can go to?

There is a nice sea food restaurant in Sengiggi area where they serve lunch or dinner on the beach. Puri Mas should be able to give you information and it is a short taxi ride from there.

The best local food is at the small "warungs" or the small restaurants outside Mataram Mall. Near Sengiggi Square you might find one open only in the evenings.

On the road you will find BBQd chicken or beef satay or corn on the cob served with a tangy sauce. Only precautions I would suggest are: only bottled water, hot food and peelable fruits.

You will find imported apples and oranges but you can also find lot of locally grown bananas, rambutans, papayas and now mangoes in season.

3) I need a good and affordable SPA. Is there any to recommend?

Most of the spas in Lombok are in the hotels. Prices will be around US$30 for an hour. If you are going to spend some time in Bali, try Cozy, Jln. Raya Puputan Renon No. 64C, open daily 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Their number is 62-8123908582 and email cozytimes26@yahoo.com

4) Any local pdts to buy back home for all my friends & ?

In Lombok at Sengiggi Square there is a "Bayan Lombok" or "antiques" shop where you can find a range of hand crafted items. The most expensive is elaborately carved wooden items with mother of peal inlaid work. At the other end are hand made bracelets with sea shells or necklaces (US$1 to 5). Lydia the owner speaks English and her number is 62-81353412377.

Best time to visit is in the evening. Take the time to browse and to find the best items of value. They also stock more expensive pearl and silver items. The items I am recommending can be found in big rattan trays or in some unobtrusive locations.[/b]

5) Can I visit Mt Rinjani ourselves w/o tourguide and in 1 day? I just want to have a feel and experience of the volcano. Razz

Are you crazy lol! Mt. Rinjani is not just off the well paved highway. Going there without a guide is a nutty idea. [b]Choose between a honeymoon or doing a crazy thing

6) Is credit card widely accepted? Or we must bring enough Cash!

[b]Generally the answer is no. Have enough Rupiahs (worth say US$100) and then based on your need, use the ATMs to get Rupiahs. Some of them will dispense no moe than US$125 worth. There are money changers and they will convert US$ and other well known currencies. Usually they display the rates.[/b]

Josi

Cheers! Razz
[b]YJ
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Tweetwee - Welcome to Lombok Lovers

I will try to also answer some of your questions:

Gilis: I recommend that you charter a boat from Mangsit beach. Puri Mas Hotel is on Mangsit beach. There will be locals hanging around the beachfront entrance of the hotel that can help you, or wander down to a small hut on the beach between Qunci Villas and Holiday Resort (you will see the boats on the beach there) and make your arrangements. The boat can supply snorkelling gear also. Make sure you arrange it the day before you want to go - so maybe arrange it the day you arrive. I would recommend you get them to take you snorkelling first, then to Gili Air or Gili Meno for lunch, and then to Gili Trawangan for a look, and then home to Puri Mas.

Local food/restaurants. Local Sasak food is very, very, very spicy. If you are brave, try some warung food - and I mean local warung, not tourist warung. There is one on the street between Qunci and Holiday Resort where I buy food all the time. Ask for nasi bunkus (take-away rice). They don't speak much English but you should be ok. Costs about rp5,000 for a take-away meal wrapped in brown paper. Another place I like is 'the tent' in Senggigi. This only appears at night and is near the post office and directly opposite Asmara restaurant. Meals are around 12,000 to 15,000. Try the Ayam Bakar (grilled chicken) it is a whole grilled chicken, but the bird is so tiny that there is not much meat on it, but it's delicious. I can't help with the more upmarket places, outside my price range.

I have no idea what an "SPA" is, let alone a good and affordable one. Can you elaborate?

Local stuff to buy for presents and to bring home:
- wood carvings - the locals are very good and make all sorts of things.
- Lombok pottery - quite famous and sold all over the world.
- Woven 'blankets' - the real ones are very expensive and hand woven
- fresh water pearls - the locals will tell you they are from Lombok, but they are all from China. Still, there are some nice, inexpensive ones to be had.
- silver - there is a silver industry on Lombok, not as organised or famous as the one in Bali, but some of the nicer pieces sold in Bali are actually made in Lombok.

Where to buy? Off the beach sellers (they need to make a living), the place Josi mentioned, another similar place at the front of Asmara restaurant, art markets next to the Sheraton in Senggigi.

Rinjani - absolutely CANNOT climb Rinjani in a day!! This is a big mountain, 3725 metres to the sumit. There are no roads up the mountain, it must be trekked. To drive to a village where treks leave from and back would take a day. A couple of years ago 7 Javanese locals tried to climb Rinjani without a guide and every one of them died. Do not even think about it.

Money: credit card is not widely accepted. Puri Mas probably take credit card, and some more upmarket restaurants will, but basically you need to use cash. There are ATMs in Senggigi where you can withdraw rupiah from your own bank account. There are money changers in Senggigi that will change all major currencies - I recommend the one at the northern end of town at the wartel on the left, or the post office.

Have a lovely holiday. I hope you get some time just to chill and take in the sunset from the beach bar at Puri Mas. The sun sets behind the island of Bali (depending on the time of year) and is quite lovely.

Freo
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Tweetwee, just to add, if you want I can introduce you to a local guy that is very good at finding the turtles on the Gili boat trip - his name is Emet. Send me a message if you want to give me your details and my husband can sms Emet and let him know your details - he will give you the right price for the charter too.
Also, just realised you will be in Lombok for Ramadan, so those local warungs I mentioned may not be open, particularly "the tent".

Cheers

Freo
Back to top Go down
tweetwee
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 am

Hi Josi & Freogirl,

Appreciate all ur replies. Smile Now I have a better idea what I should do. Very Happy
After reading all ur replies, I think I better skip Mt Rinjani this time round. Razz
Will hope to visit it one day. Razz

Now my main objective is to visit the 3 Gili islands for snorkelling to see the nice clear water and marine life. From pictures, it looks so wonderful! And furthermore I will be spending my time in Puri Mas to chill out and catch the nice sunset. By the way, what time does the sun set in Lombok?
And I would also visit Sengiggi to have a feel of the local life and buy some stuff back home. What time does the shop closes in the night? Is Sengiggi easy to walk around? How much does it cost to take a taxi from Puri Mas?

And Yes! I would really want a great SPA = Massage. No recommendation for that in Lombok other than in the hotels? I think the hotel massage services are all quite pricey. So wanna find out if I can find any good & affordable massage around.

Hi Freogirl: I do not mind ur recommendation with good price. lol!
How much does it roughly cost to charter Emet? Laughing

Counting down to my trip..... 12 days to go..... flower
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Massage on the beach   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 6:38 am

Hi,

Freeogirl has provided information about the place to charter the boat for visiting the gilis. She talks about a hut there. That is where you can get the best massage. A weather beaten sign "Massage" on a tree may still be there.

Ida will give you a very good massage for a price lot cheaper than at the nearby hotels. In September 2009 the charges including a generous tip was US$10. Enjoy the massage with sea breeze and the sound of the waves lapping at the foot of the hut.

If you go there early in the morning and once you get to know her, she will also serve you "Lombok kopi". Now her mango trees should be full of fruits.

Ida is her "bisniss" name. Freogirl knows her real name. Ida has a partner (Capini?) also.

If you visit Ida, say "Hi from Pk Josi dari Amerika".

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
tweetwee
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Flying off to Lombok soon!

Thanks for all ur help! Razz

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Have a great trip and don't forget to come back and tell us all about it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?   First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Trip to Lombok! What should I do first?
Page 1 of 1