Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GAP Adventures/Itinerary

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
aasny
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-30

GAP Adventures/Itinerary Empty
PostSubject: GAP Adventures/Itinerary   GAP Adventures/Itinerary Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:02 am

We are three adults (including a 70-year-old) considering a trip to Lombok in November through GAP Adventures. Is anyone familiar with this tour operator?

We were wondering if anyone had any comments on this itinerary (which is not very specific) and any suggested questions we should ask:

Day 1 Arrive Sanur

Day 2-3 Tetebatu
We start early to catch an express boat (3 hrs) to Lombok where we will drive inland to visit the temple complex of Lingsar. The complex has two temples built over 300 years ago. One Hindu and the other used by the Sasak, the indigenous people of Lombok who still practice animism. We then head onto Mataram, Lombok’s capitol, where we will stop at the garden complex of Narmada. This complex was built in 1805 by the Raja of Mataram, and has a replica of the Gunung Rinjani and the Crater Lake Segara Anak. We arrive at Tetebatu in the late afternoon. The guesthouse is located amidst rice fields and tobaccos plantations at the foot of the volcano with breathtaking views to soak in.

The next day we use to advantage to explore the traditional Lombok. Accompanied by our local guide we will take a hike through local villages, rice paddies, and bamboo forests finishing at the end of the walk with a horse drawn carriage waiting to bring us to to the local villages of Pringgasela and Masbagik known for their traditional weaving and pottery making. We stop long enough for the option to enjoy a real Sasak meal before heading back to our local guesthouse.

Day 4 Senaru
A short but spectacular drive through the remarkably dry eastern part of the island brings you to Senaru, on the rarely visited northern side of Lombok.
We will arrange a hike through this valley situated at the base of Mt Rinjani visiting local villages along where the Wetu Telu people are happy to greet you into their houses. At the end of the afternoon we finish our trek at a secluded waterfall for a refreshing swim.

Day 5-7 Gili Islands
On day 5, we'll be transferred to the Gili Islands (app 1 hour). We have 3 nights here to explore the beauty of these islands.

Day 8 Departs Sanur Beach
Head back to Bali this morning. Trip finishes upon arrival in Sanur.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: GAP Adventures/Itinerary   GAP Adventures/Itinerary Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 am

The itinerary sounds like you will cover some nice parts of Lombok. If your preference is to have everything pre-arranged, then it sounds ok. Pretty much everything you mentioned is easy to arrange if you stay on Lombok and arrange daily tours with local guides. That way you get to chose your accommodation, and probably pay a fair bit less.

Typical day tours include:
Visit the Lingsar temple, Narmada, Pottery factory, Chakra markets and drive through Mataram, also maybe stop at the wood carving village near Mataram.
Visit Senaru and nearby waterfalls, hike through the rain-forrest to the second waterfall for a nice swim, getting there or back via Pusuk pass where you can stop and feed monkeys and take in a spectacular view.
Visit weaving village, 'traditional sasak village' and Kuta Lombok which has spectacular beaches.

If you stay in Kuta (South Lombok) you can arrange a day fishing trip with Made at Mimpi Manis.

I think Pringgasela and Masbagik are in East Lombok, which isn't really a day trip - hence the overnight on your itinerary. That is still doable ex Senggigi and you can also fit in some great snorkelling around Gili Lampu.

Day tours are easy to arrange, if you need a contact I have read good reports on Trip Advisor Lombok Forum for a guide who can arrange everything and has good English. I have met that guide personally and he is a nice guy, but I've not used his guide services. Horse drawn carts are everywhere in Lombok, they are called a Cidomo, and are a normal mode of transport for many. Some enterprising people tizzy their carts up and charge large sums (comparatively) to tourists riding in their cart. Be very careful about using Cimodos, they have very primitive brake systems, and if you are going near any hills, get off. I have seen a couple of very bad accidents - locals never take a Cimodo down big hills, only tourists do that.

One last comment, you mention a fair bit of trekking. November is starting to get quite hot and humid, and it is the beginning of the wet season. Some walks may be a bit unpleasant, even up around Senaru it gets steamy in the jungle. I take it you are all quite fit including the 70 year old you mentioned?

But don't let me put you off using Gap tours, as I said - if you prefer to have everything pre-arranged it sounds like a good trip.
Back to top Go down
aasny
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-30

PostSubject: Re: GAP Adventures/Itinerary   GAP Adventures/Itinerary Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 am

Freogirl,

Thanks for much for the fast and detailed response. Normally we do not use tour services but we have a limited amount of time and we wanted to make sure that we saw as much as possible.

Thanks also for the warnings about the weather. I had assumed that the weather would still be mild since it was the beginning of the rainy season. I'm not sure how my mother (70 year old) would cope with hiking under those circumstances - it's something to think about.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: GAP Adventures/Itinerary   GAP Adventures/Itinerary Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 am

Take a look at the Trip Advisor Lombok forum and comments about the guide Eko. You could probably work with Eko to put together a similar itineray but be more flexible around weather and energy levels:) He has a facebook page and email address so you can do some organising before you get there - that way you won't waste a day on arrival sorting out an itinerary. If Eko is not available I also have a relative who organises tours, but he is maybe not as organised as Eko in terms of email addresses etc so hard to pre-arrange tours - however once you are there he is also a great guide.
Also, if you go down to Kuta Lombok, the owners of Mimpi Manis homestay have a car and also can arrange tours for you - Gemma is English, so no communication troubles there.

Also, in regard to your transfer from Bali to Lombok. There are other options that via Sanur and fast boat. Not that Sanur fast boats are not a good way, but to fill you in:
Ex Sanur (and probably Benoa port) to Lombok is the longest sea journey of all the fast boat options. It takes 2.5 - 3 hours by sea, and the sea can be very rough. The attraction is that there is less travel from Denpasar to get to the boat.

If you prefer to go by fast boat, then a better option in my mind is ex Padang Bai, it involves a 1.5 hr drive to Padang Bai, and a 1.5 hour boat trip. Gili Cat is the best operator. The total travel time is the same, but half of it is by land and more comfortable.

However, be aware that they advise pregnant women and people with bad backs not to take fast boats to Lombok - so that says it all really. It can be extremely bumpy. If you do go by boat make sure you sit as far to the back as possible, and toward the middle, that way you get the least movement.

The alternative is to fly. It is actually cheaper than fast boat. 3 airlines operate several flights a day to Lombok, departing Denpasar domestic airport and arriving Mataram airport 25 minutes later. It sure is my preferred method. Most people who go by boat are going directly to the Gilis, so they find fast boat from Bali more convenient as they then don't have to get from the airport over to the Gili islands.

If you would like some accommodation recommendations let me know what sort of places you like to stay (budget in Lombok means no hot water and fan cooled, or do you need a/c and hot water with swimming pool, do you want 4 star service, do you want small boutique or large chain, etc, and locations).

Planning the trip is half the fun cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAP Adventures/Itinerary   GAP Adventures/Itinerary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GAP Adventures/Itinerary
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lombok Lovers :: Travel Forum :: Lombok Travel Forum-
Jump to: