Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Runs around Senggigi

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
robd
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Runs around Senggigi Empty
PostSubject: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Will be in Lombok for 16 nights staying at the Alang Alang in June and would like to find some good places to run. Will need to be doing a few 30+ km runs, plus some 12km ones. We stayed at the Alang Alang last year, but I was injured so couldn't run. The main road outside the hotel looks a little daunting.

Also what is the longest beach? A beach run would be a nice change every now and again.

Last edited by robd on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Rob
I'm wondering what the daunting part of the road outside Alang Alang is - it is fairly quiet. So not really understanding that, it is a bit hard to know what to recommend. Lombok is very hilly. Everywhere. So it is almost impossible to avoid hills, especially on a 30km stretch. The only long flat part I can think of is out toward the new international airport site. But then the road is busy.

There a lots of beaches, but not too many with hard sand for running. The water's edge often you sink to your ankles or deeper, and just as bad further up on the soft sand - and most are sloping too, with often quite steep gradients. If I was looking for a long bay to run on not too far from Alang Alang, go around to Kelui or Malimbu. They are bays a bit further out than Mangsit where you are staying. From memory, Malimbu might be the longest sweeping bay that is not broken up by rock outcrops. With any bays you will need to dodge the fishing boats and rope lines to their anchors. You also need to watch the tide - if it's too high there often is not much beach left.

While you are in Lombok you should see if the Hash House Harriers are having a run, ask at The Office in Senggigi (bar/restaurant in Senggigi Art Market near the Sheraton).
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Freogirl. My comment about the road outside the Alang Alang was mainly due to the fact that there isn't much of a shoulder at all, so the running would be on the road itself. Maybe I over reacted when I saw it last year, will have a look. Hills are ok, I was thinking of maybe exploring the roads that head inland from the main road by the ocean.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Ok, well if you are worried about shoulders, roads heading inland you will find deteriorate rapidly once you leave the main road. There have been extensive roadworks in the last year on the road heading north. You could run from Alang Alang north and see were it takes you. There are not really any roads inland until you get to Tanjung and further around, other than those leading to small villages. Heading north you will encounter less traffic than if you go into Senggigi and toward Mataram.
Will someone follow you on a bike? Opportunities for drinking water are not great - you will rely on small roadside warungs. I also hate to say it, but you might present as a target for no-gooders if you are around the Bangsal area, so better not to be alone. Then again, they might be so surprised to see you running they might leave you alone.

There used to be some local boys that were into their 'fitness' in Mangsit. You might get approached by locals on Mangsit beach to ask you about your running - they will just be curious. Speak to them because they can offer good local advise,
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: First run   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am

We arrived yesterday, and I had my first run this morning. Headed south from Alang Alang and after 1km turned east up a road with a sign pointing to Puri Mas Spa. After about 2km the road turned to trail, with signs pointing to waterfalls called Air Terjun Putri Kembar about 1.7km further. There is some sort of a park there, with a sign saying 1000rp for entrance, but no one here at 6:30am to collect money. Name of the park maybe Taman Wisata though the park may in fact be closed, as there were no signs leading to it, and I have never seen it promoted anywhere. I followed the trail to the waterfall, it was quite overgrown, and not that well signposted, but definitely worth the effort. No one around except for some young locals camping in the jungle about 500m from the falls. When I got back to the hotel the gps said I had completed 9 km. Tomorrow is long run day, so heading north towards Bangsal for a 3 hour trot.

That's why I love running when on holidays, I would never have found or experienced this little jungle trek any other way.

http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=-8.482555,116.036762&q=http://share.gps.motionxlive.com/shr/x/kmz/4fec8b9d242e5d5b9913ccbc9078fd53#bmb=1

Last edited by robd on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mimpi
Lombok Soulmate

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:39 am

Great post rob thanks for sharing your experience with us. Hope to read more about your runs sunny
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Second run   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Ran my second run this morning.

Started from Mangsit at 6am and took the road north. Freogirl, you are right, the traffic was very light, and not a problem. Same thing couldn't be said about some of those hills...nasty! The temperature was quite warm already when I started, and it just got hotter from here. Certainly nowhere near as comfortable as yesterday. Ran 16km to where the fast boats take off from, then turned around and ran another 9km before deciding that 3 hours was more than enough in this weather, and got a ride back on a motorbike with a local. Ran with my 2 litre hydration pack, and purchased water to refill just after the turnaround from a warung.

Had three little school kids run with me for about 500 metres to their school, which was fun.
Back to top Go down
Mimpi
Lombok Soulmate

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Wish we had a "like" button on here for posts like FB Very Happy
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 am

Great posts robd, thanks for sharing your experiences. I've been up the road to Kuradagang a few times as there are quite a few expats living up that way, but never so far in as to find a waterfall. It's possible the 'park' with an entrance fee is a carpark that you pay to use to visit the waterfall. Love the kids running with you afro
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Waterfall   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 4:09 pm

On the waterfall, I have found a reference to it in the "Lombok Guide" magazine. It says:

"at the end of the road through Kerandangan Valley is the Tamandua Wisata Alam - Kerandangan Nature Reserve - with clearly marked hiking paths leading through the rain forest along the river. There is a small Ranger's hut and visitors centre near the entrance, and picnic areas with basic concrete tables along the paths. the park boasts a small waterfall, pretty river scenery, families of local monkeys and a variety of of tropical plants and birdlife."

I get the feeling this may have been written many years ago, and never updated in the magazine as the paths are far from well marked, and are overgrown and neglected.
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Senggigi runs   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 am

The last couple of days I have been starting from Alang Alang and heading south along the road until I get into Senggigi, then at de Quake hitting the footpath that runs along the beach and running that until the Oxygen Bar at the southern end. The beach run is about 1.5km. I then come out on the road again and run south until Cafe Alberto, turnaround, and run north along the main drag at Senggigi back to the hotel. Exactly 10km door to door from our bungalow. Very Happy it's a nice run, though a little humid this morning.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Ooohh, 3 pretty good hills in that run, twice over.
Back to top Go down
deblee22
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Im enjoying reading your posts thanks Rob, as we will be staying at the Alang Alang in Oct.
Are you a marrathon runner ?

Deb
Back to top Go down
robd
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Yes I run Marthons Deb. I was aiming to run the marathon at City to Surf, but unfortunately got a really bad cold after getting back from Lombok that stopped me running for nearly three weeks. Now planning to run the marathon on Rotto in October. You will have a blast at Alang Alang. The staff are just fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Runs around Senggigi   Runs around Senggigi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Runs around Senggigi
Page 1 of 1