Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advise on anything

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
choowek
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi, we're thinking of buying a place in Lombok. Have spent some time looking through websites and like the look of the island although could do with some advice on whether it is a wise move to consider living there. I've spent many years working in Indonesia although now working in the Pacific islands but have never been to Lombok so any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:25 pm

My advice would be to come and spend a few months before making any decision about living in Lombok.

I dont know where else in Indonesia you have lived but I have lived in both Lombok & Bali & can tell you there is no comparison. Lombok is far more basic and primitive. There are frequent power cuts, almost daily at times. In some areas there are problems with water. Forget the luxuries like cable TV & broadband internet.

It depends a lot on what your expectations and needs are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
choowek
Lombok Virgin

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 am

Thanks Gemma, the reason for asking is because I can't go there for a few months due to work commitments.

I had in mind that it was fairly primitive there but assumed things were getting better ... seems not yet. I imagined that Senggigi area would be a bit more developed in infrastructure and was thinking of looking for a villa there. Reports I read were that Lombok is developing as a tourist resort and maybe that would encourage more progressive development and investment.

I'm also considering north Bali so maybe Lombok is not such a good choice after all.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am

Yes Senggigi is more developed and possibly doesnt suffer the constant powercuts and water shortages that we do in the south. Freo has lived in the mangsit area and should be able to give you some more information.
Back to top Go down
choowek
Lombok Virgin

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:27 am

Hi Gemma, thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
choowek
Lombok Virgin

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 am

Gemma, you mention there's no such luxuries as internet and cable tv. Is that also true for Senggigi area?
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

There is internet but not broadband down in Kuta. Maybe try a search of the forum as there has been some talk of a service in Senggigi, that is faster. And I was mistaken there is Indovision... dont know what I was thinking of. Rolling Eyes But generally life in Lombok is a lot more basic. I certainly would suggest you try it out first if you can.
Back to top Go down
choowek
Lombok Virgin

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 am

OK, understood Gemma. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advise on anything Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on anything   Advise on anything Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advise on anything
Page 1 of 1