Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nice documentary.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tjabemerah
Lombok Lover
tjabemerah

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-07-13

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm

See a littlebit from the new documentary from the Indian director Amit Virmani who grew up in Indonesia.
Search on you tube for Cowboys in Paradise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotel-lombok.nl
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Have already seen all the clips and the latest news that police have raided Kuta beach yesterday and arrested 28 guys.

You can see all the updates on the movies Facebook Page including an interview today in the Jakarta Globe with Amit.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/cowboysinparadise?ref=ts
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
tjabemerah
Lombok Lover
tjabemerah

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Yes   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 4:32 am

Yes,I saw it this morning on the below sea level news.It seems that this topic has made some impression.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm

It would seem to me that the action of the police/government in arresting or questioning these guys has drawn way more attention to Kuta cowboys than the doco ever would. It has generated world wide publicity, something that the doco maker never would have got. Kind of backfired on them - if the reason they brought them in was because they dont want Kuta cowboys to tarnish the family image of Bali
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Absolutely agree Freo.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing the film and have been promised a copy when it comes out on DVD.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Me too Gemma, particularly as the cowboys featured in the film were described in a news report as being 'tanned with good bodies' clown Wink
Back to top Go down
tjabemerah
Lombok Lover
tjabemerah

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Family image.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

About that family image,that's for me already long vanished and gone there.But that's an endless discussion because you have Team A (Bali Lovers) and Team B (Bali Haters) and I'm definitely a player in team B.
Unfortunately,sometimes I must go to Bali for familyvisit and some business but for me the highlight in Bali is the take-off in a Fokker airplane back to Lombok.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 am

I'm probably team B, although I don't 'hate' Bali, I just like Lombok a lot more than Bali.
I find most of the team A Bali lovers have been going to Bali for a long time, and what they loved is mostly gone. I don't know that many people who only recently started going to Bali who are team A's.
Back to top Go down
tjabemerah
Lombok Lover
tjabemerah

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Right   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 4:18 pm

I think you're right.My first visit there was in 1985.I travelled around the whole island and it was very nice.Till now I travelled 4 times around in Bali.With around I mean from east to west and from north to south trying to see so many as possible.But I never had that "click" with Bali as I had with Lombok when I visited it after seeing Bali in 1985.Nowadays when I go to Bali I always must go to Denpasar,Benoa Harbor,Sanur and Kuta.
Terrible,wath a circus.Unbelievable that people can stay there for a week or longer.If my wife and bandits don't come along I fly in the morning to Bali and go back in the evening.But sometimes I must stay there because the lady's are fan of some attractions overthere.So that means your sight on infinity and your brains on zero.(but i think you don't say that so in english)
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Similar for me. My first visit was around 1984 and we went all over except the east. I did 3 more trips to revisit favorites and explore new parts of Bali and then in '96? went to Lombok for the first time and have been back once or twice a year every year since, lived there for a year, and 6 years ago married my wonderful Sasak man. Looking forward to the day we can once again live in Lombok. But I admit there are times I need to go to Bali just for the shopping and the conveniences. In Bali I'm just another bule tourist, in my village i'm constantly observed, so it is also nice for the anonomity
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Introducing Bali and Lombok to our friends - first time visitors   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 8:52 am

Freogirl, Tjabemerah and Imagem,

Two of our American friends of our age, both women, are going to join us in our six weeks trip to Indonesia starting around October 8, 2010. Thus far, I have provided them information based on my experiences during my six/seven trips there. I have shared lot of photographs also and they are excited about the trip. Later today I will introduce them to Bali Travel Forum and also Lombok Lovers.

When I learned about Kuta Cowboys, I wondered if I should do that but then I recalled I got introduced to Aik Bukak, Lombok only because of a Freogirl posting in LL in 2003. (BTF archives shows my postings from July 2003 todate). So I am going to ask them inclding my wife to register and learn about both places. Sooner or later, they will get another perspective of Bali and Lombok before they set their foot there. Then they will get first hand perspective during their stay.

We are planning to stay in Bali at least for three days on our arrival. Along with my wife and friends, I hope to call on Imagem to get her perspective. I am also going to correspond with Freogirl to get some contact information (Pk. Dam) for Mangsit area.

During our stay in Lombok, I plan to take them to Tjabamerah to get his perspective of places to visit in Lombok.

Why am I doing this? Initially these friends said they would like to visit for a brief period but once I started telling them what options are available, they are getting more and more interested and want to spend six weeks. I have not told them about the Gilis. Smile (Mimpikami: if you see this, please email me). It is slowly beginning to sink in their minds that this trip is not like a packaged tour where people enter a cocoon on arrival at their port of entry and stay there until their departure.

I want them to enjoy the taliwang chicken, the warung food, the Lombok mertabak, the Bali Spas, the Cozy foot massage in Bali as well as an opportunity to meet real people in Lombok. The four students SOTI supports will be thrilled to meet them. In addition, one of these two friends supported a student for two years to get a teaching degree in English from the university in Selong. Now she is married to a teacher and is teaching in a school in Aik Bukak, Lombok. The other friend made a large donation to SOTI during a critical period.

By the way, I will categorize myself as neither A nor B so far as Bali is concerned, but probably as C i.e., some of A and C or is it "berankali......"
My next trip is going to be fun.

Kudos to you three for posting very relevant information in LL.

Josi
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarojini.org
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 11:07 am

Hi Josi

I think it is good if your friends register and read the forums themselves to get some ideas a have and ask their own questions. It sounds like you have a good trip planned for them.

here on LL I am Gemma - so no problem by calling me the name I am registered as. Anyone who is not on BTF would not know who Imagem is Nice documentary. Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Josi, just in regard to Mangsit contacts, you do know that Pak Dam is my husband Damsiah, who lives with me in Australia - yes?
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Mangsit contacts   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Freogirl,

Our plans are to stay in the apartments at Holiday Resort.

I understood Ida/Daya is no longer in the beach spot next Quincy Villas. I know where Capendi lives (behind the Mosque or transmission tower). I have two telephone numbers but they are from September 2008. Ida-62-81917973309; Capendi-62-81917224279.

My bahasa is no better than Ida's English. Capendi never bothered to say anything in English to me in all these years. So direct communications is probably the last resort.

Our tentatie plans are to arrive in Bali around Oct. 7 and arrive in Lombok after three or four days. Sometime around August I will know the exact dates in October we will be in Lombok. At that time I would like to find out if they can visit us at the apartments.

I am aware Pk Dam is in Perth but I suppose he will visit Mangsit for Ramadhan. It will be very helpful if he can alert Ida as well as Capendi about our plans and ask if they can come to the apartment during our stay of probably 30 days. We also have plans to visit the gilis. At some point I'd like to get their current telephone numbers.

That is what I had in mind for my last posting.

Josi
Back to top Go down
Josi
Lombok Soulmate
Josi

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Registering with Lombok Lovers   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Gemma,

I have already asked the three ladies to register with LL and BTF. I hope they will do it soon.

We are getting together on Sunday evening to exchange information. I will have another chance to convince them. Their first names are: Nirmala/Nikki, Sheila and Marge/Margaret.

Josi

PS I still do not know how to post photos.
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Josi I don't know who Capendi is, but in any case if you ask any of the locals for Dakyah and they will pass on the message. Better to try to use her real name as they may know who "Ida" is. Dakyah's husband is Seni.
My son-in-law, Heri, hangs around out front of Holiday Inn selling pearls, his English is pretty good so he can help you organize what you need. Let me know closer to the date and I can SMS him to look out for you.
Most locals change their numbers frequently, so even if pk dam gets Dakyah's no. In August it might change by Oct.
Another helpful person that I think you would recognize is Yot or "Eddy". He can also help with tours etc.
The best one to use for Gili trips is Amet.

If you ask for any of these people by name they will get the message and come see you. They all live in Mangsit village

Freo
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi Josi here are instructions for the easiest way to post photos on the site. The photos must already be hosted online somewhere else.

1) On the photo you wish to post, right click. A list comes up.

2) Bottom of the list is properties left click on properties and another list comes up.

3) Top of the list is location - highlight the location and copy it (control c)

4) In your post click on the icon between host image & link it is called Image. A box will open

5) In the box paste the location which you previously copied and click ok.

Your photo will than appear in your post.

Like this Nice documentary. Icon_smile

Nice documentary. AMI_HIRL-exter-1
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:20 pm

This is the latest article and at last from someone who has ACTUALLY see the film!

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/culture/bali-a-cowboys-paradise/372619
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, from the comments in the article, sounds like the description of what these guys are about is pretty accurate, and I agree with the filmmaker that it is a story to be told. These guys can be found in just about any tourist place in the poorer countries. Kuta Bali is not special in Indonesia - the Gilis are full of guys like this, and there is a fair share in Kuta Lombok and Senggigi. In Bali, you can also find them in Lovina and Ubud, Candi Dasa, etc.

I have nothing against it when the girl has her eyes open and knows exactly what is going on. If someone wants a bit of fun on their holidays, why not?

It is when girls are deceived that I don't like it. Sometimes the deception is because the girl is naive or in denial, but other times it can be a very sneeky deception. When it extends to marriage and children with existing wives and kids hiding in the background, it has gone way too far. Similarly when the girl forks out large amounts of money to bring the guy home, and he bails soon after having had his free holiday. That leaves people very hurt and can't be condoned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nice documentary. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nice documentary.   Nice documentary. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nice documentary.
Page 1 of 1