Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good News!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DB
Lombok Friend

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Good News! Empty
PostSubject: Good News!   Good News! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 am

08/08/08 20:07
Tourist flow to Mt Rinjani in NTB increasing

Mataram, W Nusa Tenggara (ANTARA News) - The number of tourists coming to Mount Rinjani (3,726 m above sea level), one of West Nusatenggara (NTB)`s main tourist attractions, is rising every year, a local official said.

In the April-July period of 2008, a total of 5,023 tourists (3,238 foreign and 1,808 local) visited the monntain on Lombok Island compared to 4,477 in a corresponding period in 2007, M Arief Toengkagie, head of the Mount Rinjani National Park (TNGR), said here Friday.

Meanwhile, during the January-December period in 2007, Mount Rinjani attracted a total of 9,517 tourists (5,065 foreign and 4,452 local).

"As the number has continued to rise in the past few months, we estimate that by the end of 2008 more than 10,000 tourists will have come to Mt Rinjani," Toengkagie said.

The mountain`s base covers parts of three districts -- West Lombok, Central Lombok, and East Lombok -- and its top can be reached via two alternative routes.

Via the Sembalun route, the climb can be made first by a five-hour trip by public transport followed by seven-hour trek on foot from Sembalun Lawang to the mountain peak. A trip on foot from Sembalun Lawang to Segara Anak Lake takes 8 to 10 hours.

The mountain`s highest point can also be reached via the Senaru route which begins in Bayan district. On this route, a tourist first makes a public transport trip of three or four hours. Followed by a walk of seven to 10 hours ending at Segara Anak Lake.

Visitors to Mount Rinjani can enjoy several interesting tourist objects including those in Senaru which is the gateway for hikers. Tourists can also visit a traditional Senaru village which lies near a two-tier 25-m high waterfall, the first tier named Sedang Gila and the second Tiu Kelep.

In Kembang Kuning village, visitors can find the Jeruk Manis waterfall (30 meters high). The village also has several species of fauna such as Lutung (Tracyphitecusauratus cristatus) and Eagle.

Arriving at the peak of Mount Rinjani, visitors can enjoy beautiful views, go angling in Lake Segara Anak (2,010 m above sea level) or immerse themselves in a hot-water spring at Aik Kalak.

Toengkagie said the tourist facilities and attractions on Mount Rinjani were managed in much better ways than in the past in cooperation with local residents.

The Mount Rinjani National Park itself has been nominated as the first Geopark in Indonesia and the second in Asia after Langkawi Island, Malaysia, he said

COPYRIGHT © 2008
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/wybe
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Good News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good News!   Good News! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:32 am

Interesting that the % of local tourists has risen dramatically. I wonder if it has anything to do with more locals now registering for the climb than doing it themselves, after those tragic deaths a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Good News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good News!   Good News! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:44 am

I wish I had done it 10/11 years ago when I was still reasonably fit.

I kept putting it off and just got less and less able. Now I can barely climb the stairs never mind Rinjani.

Now its just never going to happen.

I love seeing other peoples photos of the trek so if any members have done it - please post some pics. sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
sasak
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Good News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good News!   Good News! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

hey Gemma, never say never!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DB
Lombok Friend