Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lombok flora and fauna

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackcap Bob
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Lombok flora and fauna Empty
PostSubject: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the site and need advice.

I have been a Lory and Lorikeet breeder for the last 14 years, they are nectar feeding birds which are indigenous to Indonesia, I have an interest in the Mitchell Lorikeet which I could bore you half to death with, Mitchell's are endemic to Lombok and are now believed to be extinct in Bali, my wife Diane and I visited Bali and Lombok in 2004 for our honeymoon, at that time we visited the bird markets in Denpasar and Mataram. There were numerous Lories of various species from islands in the Molucca's but no Mitchell's for sale in Denpasar and only a handful in Mataram but again no Mitchell's.

I have been speaking with Bayu Wirayudha who is involved in the reintroduction of Mitchell Lorikeets and Bali Starlings to Nusa Penida. It appears to me that no one knows the status of the wild population of Mitchell's on Lombok, I am wanting to come to Lombok in May 2010 after I have retired, to work with Biology students at Mataram university in an attempt to try and establish wild numbers..........some task.

In a nutshell whilst in Lombok in 2004 I only saw one Mitchell Lorikeet that was a pet bird, during our stay we visited a large waterfall on the northern side of mount Rinjani and I am convinced that I heard Lorikeets in flowering tree in an elevated position on the side of the waterfall but couldn't see them..........for colourful birds they sure are hard to see.

I am having problems attaching a couple of picture's of Mitchell's so if someone can tell me what to do to get them attached I would appreciate it, if not I can e-mail the pictures to the administrator to attach for me which ever is easiest.

I am hoping that a member of your group will have seen Mitchell's in the wild and can give a location when they were seen and time of year, I'm hoping that someone will have then visiting flowering tree or shrubs in their garden. My friend Bayu tells me that they are an endangered species but if that is true how endangered are they, only contact with local people and a survey will tell.

I hope that you find this message interesting and have time to reply if you have any sightings, or can explain how to place pictures on the messages as without seeing a picture of Mitchell Lorikeet it will be difficult to identify them in the wild.

Selamat Siang.........Bob
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi Bob

You can email me the pictures at info@mimpimanis.com and I will attach them to your post for you.

We have a lot of birds that visit our garden but I couldnt tell you what any of them are. Once I see a photo I might have a better idea. Everone can at least start keeping an eye out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
Blackcap Bob
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 3:52 am

Hello Gemma,

I have e-mailed your three pictures which I would appreciate if you could post them for me, I would love to think that you have Mitchell's visiting your garden. Regards Bob.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 8:20 am

Hi Bob

I dont have time right now, just getting ready for a school function but will try to get them posted this evening!
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 am

Sorry Bob, I am sad to say I have never seen one either in my garden or anywhere else.

Lombok flora and fauna 2009_0420Mitchells0012

Lombok flora and fauna Picasabackground

Lombok flora and fauna 2009_0420Mitchells0007
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:19 am

Bob, one of the girls that works for us is dating a guy who works for a bird breeder. I will ask her to see what they know about Mitchells in Bali/Lombok.
Back to top Go down
hfraast
Lombok Friend

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi,

My brother in law says he have seen this bird "Pring" recently in an area called Air Sbau
(Lombok Timor). He also say it is still possible to buy it at the lokal marked in
Pringabaya area.

hfraast
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:17 pm

The response from Ayak's Boyfreind who wowrks for the bird breeder here was that there are none in Bali but they are in Lombok & Sumbawa and he could get me one from a freind in Lombok. He misunderstood my enquiry and thought i was looking to buy one!
Back to top Go down
Blackcap Bob
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:01 am

Hello Gemma and hfraast,

Thanks for your replies, the Mitchell does not come from Sumbawa the bird from there is called a Forsten Lorikeet and is slightly different sub species and seems to be more common on Sumbawa, to the untrained eye they are the same bird until they are seen together, I have seen Forstens for sale in Denpasar in January this year but only 3 birds.

Does Ayak's boyfriend know where they are wild on Lombok, I have a map of the island and am trying to plot sightings, there is no point trying to set up a search in an area of the island with no known sightings. When you say that he works for a bird breeder are they breeding Indonesian birds or birds from further a field. Any help they can offer would be appreciated, do they speak English and e-mail address.

hfraast I have found Pringabaya on the map and its on the eastern side of the island and south east of the mount Rinjani reserve, is the reserve actively protected or in name alone, I can't find Air Sbau is it close to Pringabaya.

Is it just a coincident that Pringabaya has Pring in the name.

Please keep up the good work by asking other people about the birds. Thanks again Bob.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am

Ayak's boyfriend Nengah does speak a little english but does not have an email account. Ayak doesnt know what birds they breed but I know Nengah has mentioned cockatoos. Nengah's boss is from France, I believe.

Ayak has sms'd Nengah for the bosses email address and I will let you know when I get it.

Glad we can help flower
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi Bob

I am just about to send you a PM (private message) with the email details.
Back to top Go down
Blackcap Bob
Lombok Virgin

PostSubject: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks Gemma,

I have sent an e-mail, hopefully some good will come of it. Thanks again Bob.
Back to top Go down
Bayu Wirayudha
Lombok Virgin

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Mitchell's Lorikeet .   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Blackcap Bob wrote:
Thanks Gemma,

I have sent an e-mail, hopefully some good will come of it. Thanks again Bob.

There are quite many people think that there is no different between the T.h mitchellii and the T.h forsterni. They look alike so much especially when the are young. I my self once made a mistake to rescue this bird from bird market to be release at Nusa Penida but luckily during the rehabilitation period we found out the bird that we rescued were T.h forsterni from Sumbawa.

I just got a conversation with a tour guide around Rinjani area who is really concern about the wildlife at this area. I suggested him to set up a breeding program for T.h mitchlellii as a back up population. People are still taking birds from the rinjani area until this time and tehre is no strong commitment from forestry dept / local government to stop it. I hope somebody willing to run education program for this issue to school children and adult before it really too late to work with.

Best wishes,
Bayu
Back to top Go down
Mimpi
Lombok Soulmate

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Bayu

Thank you for posting on Lombok Lovers. However you have posted on the old now defunct site. I would be happy if you would come over and join our new forum at http://lomboklovers.freeforums.org

I hope to see you there.

Regards
Gemma
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lombok flora and fauna   Lombok flora and fauna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lombok flora and fauna
Page 1 of 1