Lombok Lovers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lombok Lovers

Lombok's Friendliest Forum has a new home!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arak related deaths

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

Number of posts : 591
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Arak related deaths Empty
PostSubject: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Those of you that frequent the Bali forums too will know of the deaths related to arak recently reported including two tourists. However I have just heard that two more tourists have died on Lombok. One in Mataram and another on Gili Trawangan after drinking arak on Gili Meno.

Best to avaoid drinking any arak or arak cocktails for the time being.

I dont have any link or official details on the Lombok deaths but here is some info on the bali deaths that I have copied & pasted from another forum. The link is not available.

Quote :
Another foreigner dies in suspected alcohol poisoning
The Jakarta Post | Mon, 06/01/2009 7:50 PM | National

An American died on Monday from alleged alcohol poisoning after being treated for two days at Sanglah General Hospital, Bali, raising the total number of fatalities from the deadly alcohol mix to 23 in less than 10 days.

Forty-eight-year-old Rose Johnson was admitted to hospital on Saturday, suffering symptoms of severe poisoning, Sanglah's head of forensics, Ida Bagus Alit, said Monday as quoted by tempointeraktif.com.

Samples of the patient's blood and stomach were sent to the National Police Laboratory in Denpasar.

Alit could not yet confirm the cause of Johnson's death, but said she had shown symptoms typically caused by consuming alcohol mixed with methanol.

Saturday saw the first death of a foreign victim in a spate of fatalities caused by suspected alcohol poisoning in Bali.

Earlier, a resident of Canggu, North Kuta, 59-year-old Briton Alan Colen, was found unconscious after having consumed arak that he had bought from a stall near his house. After being taken to Sanglah Hospital he was later pronounced dead by the attending physician.

The hospital had treated 51 people for alcohol poisoning since last Monday. Of that number, 18 are still undergoing treatment.

Mixing alcohol with other ingredients is not uncommon in Bali. Mixing arak with methanol increases the drink’s alcohol content, in some cases to poisonous levels. (adh)

Back to top Go down
http://www.mimpimanis.com
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:45 pm

The Lombok Article.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/06/02/spiked-liquor-kills-more-foreigners.html

"...Over on Lombok Island, Dutch national Rene Puper, 23, died Sunday evening in the intensive care unit of Mataram General Hospital, after being admitted to the hospital earlier in the day.

His partner, Rachel Craig, 22, a British citizen, died a day earlier on Gili Trawangan, a small resort island in North Lombok.

Puper's body was examined at Mataram General Hospital on Monday, while Craig's body is still being kept at the Bhayangkara Kemala Hikmah Police Hospital, also in Mataram.

Gili Trawangan village chief Zainuddin M.Z. told reporters at the hospital that Puper and Craig had arrived at the resort island on Saturday afternoon and later checked in at the Emelia Guesthouse.

"Two hours after checking in, Puper stormed out of the room seeking help because his partner Craig was in agony," Zainuddin said.

He added the two foreign nationals had reportedly been seen drinking arak on the nearby island of Gili Meno, shortly before crossing over to Gili Trawangan.

"Witnesses noticed them drinking arak in Gili Meno before arriving in Trawangan," he said.

"Many people saw them in an intoxicated state as they arrived in Trawangan."

Mataram General Hospital spokesman Rudi Syarif said based on clinical symptoms during treatment at the ICU, Puper was believed to have died of alcohol poisoning."
Back to top Go down
tjabemerah
Lombok Lover
tjabemerah

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Arak   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 am

I always have my arak mixed with brem instead of methanol.It has a better taste and is better for your health.It,s sad that it happens again.It,s not the first time and it will not be the last time.I,m still enjoying drinking the local spirits and Pak Ketut said that i can trust his local brewed products so my faith is in his hands.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotel-lombok.nl
tom
Lombok Lover

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 pm

There was alot of talk about the risk/benefit associated with ganja smoking in Indonesia but I don't hear that when it comes to alcohol. Is it so unthinkable to just abstain from drinking arak? I would think women are especially at risk due to their body's lessened ability to metabolize. Selamat minum!
Back to top Go down
outahere
Lombok Looney

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm with you Tom. I wonder though how much the crack down on alcohol imports and the resultant big price rises for alcohol in Indonesia has led to an increase in people drinking moonshine arak, brem etc.
Back to top Go down
tom
Lombok Lover

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Good point Gema. I'm afraid that it's a case of the govt shooting itself in the foot when it comes to supporting tourism. I can see them wanting to get their taxes but then they should allow for more legitimate imports of not only alcohol but other food stuffs with a reasonable tax. With the increased volume they would receive the same amount of tax revenue and there would be more reasonably priced imported alcohol and food. Everyone would be happy again.
Back to top Go down
Gemma
Lombok Looney
Gemma

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi Tom

I am guessing you meant Freo not me! There is an impact here on some stuff we used to buy.... but not a lot and we make our own but sometimes its nice to have the real deal... Havent been able to get BBQ sauce for while nor salad dressing. I still thank my lucky stars for all I can get in Bali than I never could in Lombok sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arak related deaths   Arak related deaths Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arak related deaths
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lombok Lovers :: Travel Forum :: Lombok Travel Forum-
Jump to: